cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2950 does it have DHCP Server?

djelizondo
Level 1
Level 1

I googled this and couldnt get a clear answer. I was reading it supports DHCP relay? im assuming its just relaying dhcp from the router.

I am wondering if it has its own DHCP router and if theres a command to enable it?

Also Random side question. it hands out ip addresses to other devices (the 2950 im using infront of a router) but when I hook up another switch to this switch it doesnt initialize the port or try to connect? why.

1 Reply 1

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Yes, the 2950 does support a DHCP Server and/or DHCP Relay functionality. However, it is strongly limited: on these platforms, there can be at most one SVI in the no shutdown state. That means that a 2950 can provide DHCP Server or Relay services only to a single directly-connected VLAN.

There was a similar issue discussed here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3530571#3530571

It is not common to run a DHCP Server or a Relay service on a switch, anyway. Do you need it?

when I hook up another switch to this switch it doesnt initialize the port or try to connect?

I do not quite understand this description. However, you may need to use a cross-over cable, as 2950 do not have the auto-cross (auto-MDIX) functionality.

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card