cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 2950 l2 switch console problen

sabeehmuhammed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I got 2 old Cisco 2950 catalyst switch yesterday. But when I try to open console of both switches I am getting only blank terminal. I tried to open with putty and scureCRT, I tried another console cable, tried on another PC, but no luck. 

I think previous owners might have disabled console. So is there any other way to take console or delete start-up conf file??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you checked the COM port number in Device manager, then I assume you are using a USB-RS232 converter. If so, have you checked the connection between the converter and the console cable? Have you tried to replace the blue console cable with another 1?

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Have you tried changing the baud rate to different speed setting on the console?

HTH

Thank for your fast reply.

Yes I have tried different buard rate, data bits and parity also. But I am not getting any responds from console. Is there any alternative way?

Can you try breaking in to the switch using password recover procedure? 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-2950-series-switches/12040-pswdrec-2900xl.html

HTH

If you checked the COM port number in Device manager, then I assume you are using a USB-RS232 converter. If so, have you checked the connection between the converter and the console cable? Have you tried to replace the blue console cable with another 1?

Thanks brother, 

I replaced this blue cable (Connection between USB converter and console cable) and it worked well. I have been behind this for the last 2 weeks.

thanks all who suggested me solutions. 

cosmin.mateescu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I don't have a 2950 around to test, but as far is I know disabling the console is achieved issuing the "no exec" command on the console line, so it is a command in the start-up config. Therefore booting the switch in the rescue image should not take into account that command, so the console should be available in that mode. Have you tried that? To do so hold down the MODE button located on the left side of the front panel, while you reconnect the power cable to the switch. Release the Mode button after approximately 5 seconds when the Status (STAT) LED goes out. When you release the Mode button, the SYST LED blinks amber. 

Here is the rest of the procedure:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-2950-series-switches/12040-pswdrec-2900xl.html 

PS:  I presume you are using the correct COM port and terminal settings, however I mention them bellow just to make sure:

• Bits per second (baud): 9600

• Data bits: 8

• Parity: None

• Stop bits: 1

• Flow Control: Xon/Xoff  (or none, in some documents)

You can check if you are using the correct COM port in System Tools/Device Management if you are using a Windows device. 

If this doesn't work check if the flash card can be removed (not sure on that old model), perhaps you can use it in other device and delete the startup config.

Thanks for your reply.

I tried this tutorial also by pressing MODE switch, I confirmed COM port number in Device manager, but still no responds. To get this flash card whether I will have to open switch ? Or is there any alternative way to open?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card