cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2960-24TC-L Switch wont boot

MrD
Level 1
Level 1

I have this switch and it appears one of my students have erased the ios. How and where can I download the software? 

Is this the correct link https://software.cisco.com/download/home/279963375/type/280805680/release/12.2.55-SE12?i=!pp

When we power on the switch we only get the switch: prompt. I did a dir command and there is no evidence of any config files or vlan files

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Step 1 Initialize the flash file system:

switch: flash_init

Step 2 If you had set the console port speed to anything other than 9600, it has been reset to that particular speed. Change the emulation software line speed to match that of the switch console port.

Step 3 Load any helper files:

switch: load_helper

Step 4 Start the file transfer by using the Xmodem Protocol.

switch: copy xmodem: flash:image_filename.bin

Step 11 After the Xmodem request appears, use the appropriate command on the terminal-emulation software to start the transfer and to copy the software image into flash memory.

Click on "Transfer" menu in the "SecureCRT", click on "Send Xmodem", select the file and send it.

Step 12 Boot the newly downloaded Cisco IOS image.

switch:boot flash:image_filename.bin

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_40_se/configuration/guide/scg/swtrbl.html#wp1099467

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It appears that only the config has been deleted.  If this is the case, you don't need a new IOS, you just need to configure the switch again. After the switch booths, what is the output of "sh ver"?

BTW, to load that IOS you would need a valid service contract.

HTH

IMG_0250.jpgIMG_0251.jpg

Here is the output I am getting. and I had to switch the baud rate to 115200 to get to this point

Here is the output I am getting. and I had to switch the baud rate to 115200 to get to this point

Hi,

This Switch in the Switch: mode.

Type few commands:

flash_init
load_helper
boot

The switch will boot with existing IOS (If available).

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Capture.PNG

now I am at this point it says no such device

Hi,

Please share output from below commands:

flash_init
load_helper
dir flash:

It looks like that there are no ios.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

How can I reinstall it?

Hi,

Step 1 Initialize the flash file system:

switch: flash_init

Step 2 If you had set the console port speed to anything other than 9600, it has been reset to that particular speed. Change the emulation software line speed to match that of the switch console port.

Step 3 Load any helper files:

switch: load_helper

Step 4 Start the file transfer by using the Xmodem Protocol.

switch: copy xmodem: flash:image_filename.bin

Step 11 After the Xmodem request appears, use the appropriate command on the terminal-emulation software to start the transfer and to copy the software image into flash memory.

Click on "Transfer" menu in the "SecureCRT", click on "Send Xmodem", select the file and send it.

Step 12 Boot the newly downloaded Cisco IOS image.

switch:boot flash:image_filename.bin

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_40_se/configuration/guide/scg/swtrbl.html#wp1099467

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Ok I am using Teraterm and I followed your directions, the only problem was the load_helper command said unknown command. What is the average transfer time on this? I used the xmodem command from Teraterm.

Capture.PNG

Thanks  for your help it worked

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco