cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2960, no post, solid green syst... dead switch?

I have 2 - WS-C2960-24TT-L switches. Both are experiencing the same issue.

Upon booting them up, all lights flash on the mode indicator panel, then it goes directly to a solid green "SYST" light. Nothing registers across the console cable. I have tried different baud rates, cables and computers. None of the ports come up regardless of how long either switch is powered on. Holding the Mode button during boot up produces the same result, nothing.

Sounds like they are dead, however, I thought this would be the place to go for ideas. Can I revive these switches?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nope.  Time for you to contact Cisco TAC and get the appliances RMA-ed.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nope.  Time for you to contact Cisco TAC and get the appliances RMA-ed.

I figured this was the case. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

mhnedirli
Level 1
Level 1

did you try your console cable and converter. syst led is showing that device is operating. i have 3560 and its syst led also running.you can also look this

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/hardware/installation/guide/higover.html

calcan
Level 1
Level 1

How did you fix the problem. I am having the same issue.

calcan
Level 1
Level 1

How did you fix the problem. I am having the same issue.

calcan
Level 1
Level 1
How did you fix? Having same problem.

Have you managed to solve this issue? I am also facing same issue.

Switch was working fine, and power cycle made it to this state.

Any input will be very much appreciated. 

No I have not solved the issue, but I did do some research and other who haveexperienced the same issue claim the solder on the RAM chip becomes undone andby applying heat for 10 minutes with a hot air gun will allow the solder to soften and re-connect. 
I tried it with a hair dryer set on hot but I had not luck. I called cisco to open a TAC for RMA and the switch is covered under warranty, however since the switch was a donation, the warranty is not under my name so I cannot get it RMAed. 
Oh Well. Hope some of this helps!

Thanks Calcan.

Mine is also out of warranty, if there is no other option, will try to heat the RAMs with hot air gun.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card