cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2960-S not able to connect in with SSH/Telnet

tlaugh
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2960-S stack and I am unable to log in with SSH or Telnet.  When I connect to the console I just get logs scrolling and when it comes up to the log in prompt if I am not fast enough the logs take over and it just keeps scrolling past it.  I have never seen this before on these switches.  I have rebooted all 3 switches in the stack and still get the same response trying to connect SSH/Telnet, connection refused, and the same thing happens with the logs when I connect to the console port.  

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- That's a bummer ; the original problem is indeed probably due to incomplete configuration for SSH/Telnet to work;
To disable logging on the console you can use the global configuration command no logging console global configuration command.
But that could be raced against currently too ; you may need to isolate the master and configure that 'alone' and when it has nothing to do ; this could lead to production downtime ,  indeed

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

i cant even get a prompt so i can type that when connect to the console port.  it just scrolls the logs.  

stack only the manager SW can access other can not access.
that what I know

MHM

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Looks like for me the debug logs enable on console, take maintenance window and reboo the device and make changes on logging settings.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

tlaugh
Level 1
Level 1

Ok so I have finally gotten into my switch and got the logging stop.  took a few bad words and some patient's but i am able to look at the config and make some changes.  With that being said i am not sure how this had happen but there are somethings in my config that shouldn't be there.  We have not made any changes to this switch for a very long time but there are something i know shouldn't be there.  I have copy of the running config.  In theory could I put the switch in conf t mode and copy this config and over write the config that is currently there and worst case just reboot and it would load the startup config?    

Until we see the config we do not know - bear in mind of the debug enabled and when you reload that debug not available to view.

So this is bit tricky to identify the issue, since you mentioned device was long time back - something might have trigger to generate huge logs.  what IOS code running, check any config related to logging and debug enabled ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card