Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2960 update

Hi, im trying to upgrade my cisco 2960x switch(c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-4.E8.bin). I have created a tftp server with tftpd64. Im using putty and my error message is:

N-VIN-CIS-1169-#copy tftp flash
Address or name of remote host [158.149.64.62]?
Source filename [c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-4.E8.bin]?
Destination filename [c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-4.E8.bin]?
Accessing tftp://158.149.64.62/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-4.E8.bin...
%Error opening tftp://158.149.64.62/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-4.E8.bin (Timed out)

This is my first try doing this. What connection am I supposed to have between my laptop and switch?

13 Replies 13

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Can you ping the TFTP server?

I can ping my switch when im on wifi but not when im connected with cable. The thin gi dont understand is do I update my switch through wifi, console cable or ethernet cable?

If you using TFTP you will need to do this over IP. Should not really matter if you are doing this over WiFi or ethernet, as long as you have IP connectivity between switch and machine running TFTP server. You can certainly connect to the switch via console cable and run the commands, as long as the switch still has IP connectivity to your machine.

Im connected to the switch with both console cable and wifi. I can ping the switch when im on wifi. What are the commands I should be running then? I cant get it done

Ensure your tftp application is listening on the WIFI NIC. Usually a drop down.
Disable windows firewall temporarily (if Windows)
Run the command on the switch as you did before.

Copy tftp flash command.

Hi, how do I ensure that my tftp server is listening on the WIFI NIC? Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this but its my first try so. I know I ru nthe right commands and have the right settings on my PC, but im not sure om connected to the switch right and that my tftp server is running properly. Thanks for the help

If you have IP connectivity you should be good.
On tftp64 when you open it there should be a drop down where you can select the ip it is listening on and also you will need to select the directory where your new IOS is stored.

That is what im using. I have selected the ip adress my server is on and correct directory where the .bin file is. It still doesnt work.

Is it a windows machine? Have you disabled windows firewall in control panel and also stop the service within windows then test.

Also ensure the folder where the IOS is stored has read access.

If you want to use TFTP then it's got to be ethernet.
You can also use a USB thumb drive to perform the IOS upgrade.

Ok, when im connected with to the switch with ethernet should i use the console port or just a normal port configured like a trunk?

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight
Do you have IP connectivity between the switch and TFTP server? E.G can you ping between the two? It could be a number of things.
Usually when TFTP is not working with your setup it is the windows firewall blocking it. However I am just assuming everything else is configured correctly.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card