cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2960-X-48TS-LL Switch Not Providing Full "24" EtherChannel Groups

SysAdmin_007
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I have a Cisco Catalyst 2960-X-48TS-LL switch, and I want to fully utilize the multiple links between switches for better redundancy and resiliency. I want to group several Gigabit Ethernet ports into one logical channel. 

I noticed when I typed "channel-group ?" switch output is "<1-6>! Not good in my case. The reason I purchased this particular switch was for the 24 EtherChannel groups it said it provided.

I downloaded c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E6.bin and installed the IOS, hoping that will fix my problem but still only giving us a total of 6 channel-groups

How can I fully utilize the 24 channel-groups for this particular switch? Is there a config I need to perform to have access to 24 channel-groups? What can I do to have 24 channel-groups?

The link below mentions 24 channel-groups 2960-X has available. Thank you for your time.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/lan-switching-and-routing/how-many-port-channels-can-a-2960-x-switch-and-2960-x-stack-can/td-p/2260019

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ahhhhhhhh ... I know what it is.

The model you've got is LAN Lite (-LL) and not LAN Base. LAN Lite, because it's the cheapest model, can only do 6 channel-groups.

View solution in original post

Your feature set, LAN Lite, does in fact only support a maximum of 6 etherchannels. In order to support up to 24 the LAN Base feature set is required.

Here is a link with the relevant information from the configuration guide:

Consolidated Platform Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS Release 15.2(5)E (Catalyst 2960-X Switches) - Configuring EtherChannels [Cisco Catalyst 2960-X Series Switches] - Cisco 

You will see under the Etherchannel Overview section the following:

"The LAN Lite feature set supports up to six EtherChannels. The LAN Base feature set supports up to 24 EtherChannels."

Hopefully that helps answer your question.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
My 2960X is running 15.2(5)E2 and I can see the option to configure up to 24 Etherchannel. Maybe all what's needed is to upgrade the IOS to a higher level?

I installed your exact IOS version of 15.2(5)E2, and it's still showing 6 channel-groups. Its not working. Not good..

Hmm i have the WS-C2960X-48FPS-L nearly identical in operation , i have this running c2960x-universalk9-mz.150-2.EX5 and i see 24 as an option maybe worth a shot

#sh ver | i 2960x
System image file is "flash:/c2960x-universalk9-mz.150-2.EX5/c2960x-universalk9-mz.150-2.EX5.bin"

(config)#int g1/0/7
(config-if)#channel-group ?
  <1-24>  Channel group number

Ahhhhhhhh ... I know what it is.

The model you've got is LAN Lite (-LL) and not LAN Base. LAN Lite, because it's the cheapest model, can only do 6 channel-groups.

Where does it say that? I'm looking at 2960 -x-48TS-LL product overview, and there's no mention of total amount available for Ether Channel-groups!

Your feature set, LAN Lite, does in fact only support a maximum of 6 etherchannels. In order to support up to 24 the LAN Base feature set is required.

Here is a link with the relevant information from the configuration guide:

Consolidated Platform Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS Release 15.2(5)E (Catalyst 2960-X Switches) - Configuring EtherChannels [Cisco Catalyst 2960-X Series Switches] - Cisco 

You will see under the Etherchannel Overview section the following:

"The LAN Lite feature set supports up to six EtherChannels. The LAN Base feature set supports up to 24 EtherChannels."

Hopefully that helps answer your question.

Thank you. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card