Helpful
Replies

CISCO 2960G (SSH)

hamzashahid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys 

Hope you all doing great!!!

i have Cisco switch of 2960G 48 port i configured telnet when i got it first time but after a while i realized that i should use SSH for security purpose then i tried to configure SSH and  configuration was correct i typed a password correctly and then remove telnet configurations so i was confident that is y i save that configuration without testing which was my big mistake. When i went for testing i was able to access console mode but when i went for enable mode and typed en after give password it said access denied although i was typing correct password i don't know what was the thing which was misconfigured there.

basic requirement for ssh i configured hostname, ip domain-name, RSA, the command i type for password of enable mode was enable password [password] 

i thing i did here something wrong kindly guide me now what can i do to get back into switch enable or config mode 

Thanks & Best Regards:

HAMZA SHAHID 

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

here is the passwor recovery. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_25_see/configuration/guide/scg_1/swtrbl.html#wp1090048

Another advise, test before writing the config, let your session on and do ssh test and write for future reference.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hamza

I find the post slightly confusing. You describe the post as a problem with configuring SSH. Then you talk about console access and about a problem where the enable password did not work. Are we dealing with a problem with SSH, or a problem with the enable password, or is it both problems?

If you can not get into enable mode then certainly your first step will be to do password recovery. That will allow you to get into enable mode and to recover the configuration and then to fix the problems in the configuration. 

In this switch configuration is aaa new-model enabled? If so is aaa authentication specified? Can you share that part of the configuration. The switch might not be looking at the configured enable password to authenticate enable mode.

It is certainly good advice to test ssh after configuring it and before saving the changes to startup config. A simple first step would be to use the command show ip ssh and it will tell you if ssh is actually enabled. Also good advice to keep the session active in which you made the config changes and to test ssh access from some other device.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card