cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2960X unable to boot

RB117892
Level 1
Level 1

Brand new switch that somehow lost it's image. When I turn the switch on, it goes to the switch: prompt and I am unable to do anything. When I run the boot command, it gives me an error stating "error loading "flash:/c2960............"  No such file or directory.  How do I get this switch to boot up using a default image. I can't get to the enable prompt to upload a new image. When I try and do the "enable" I recieve "unknown cmd: en"

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

swicklund
Level 1
Level 1

If I understand you may want to reset it to factory defaults.  You can then load your OS and config via tftp.  

To reload:

To reset the switch:

• Press and hold the Mode button. The switch LEDs begin blinking after about 3 seconds.
  • Continue holding down the Mode button. The LEDs stop blinking after 7 more seconds, and then the switch reboots.

The switch now operates like an unconfigured switch. You can enter the switch IP information by using Express Setup.

The cisco link is:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960xr/hardware/quick/guide/b_gsg_2960xr.html

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

pdub206
Level 1
Level 1

What is the output of the command

dir

You either have no image in your flash memory or it is not being selected by the boot command.

Throwing packets since 2012

switch: dir

List of filesystems currently registered:

bs[1]: (read-only)

flash[9]: (read-write)

xmodem[10]: (read-only)

null[11]: (read-write)

tftp[12]: (read-only)

If you issue the command 

dir flash:

what files does it show?

It only shows the following:

switch: dir flash:

Directory of flash:/

2  -rwx  109       <date>               info

3  drwx  512       <date>               update

137  drwx  512       <date>               crashinfo_ext

139  -rwx  676       <date>               vlan.dat

140  -rwx  9548      <date>               config.text

141  -rwx  3096      <date>               multiple-fs

142  -rwx  57        <date>               private-config.text

117397K bytes available (1925K bytes used)

switch:

I'm in the process of following these steps to transfer a new .bin file over. http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-2950-series-switches/41845-192.html

How does one transfer the .bin if they do not have HyperTerminal? The instructions I linked above were for HyperTerminal, which isn't on Windows 7. All I have is putty

• Issue the copy xmodem: flash:filename command on the switch.

Here is an example:

switch: copy xmodem: flash:c2955-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1.bin
    Begin the Xmodem or Xmodem-1K transfer now...
    CCC
  • From the top of the HyperTerminal window, choose Transfer > Send File.

Ryan,

Since this is a 2960X, you should be able to copy the ios image from a usb flash drive to flash. This will be far faster than waiting on an xmodem copy.

Ok that would be great. But are there instructions? I just did the xmodem transfer and it completed but then it stated I/O Error and the .bin file is not in the flash dir. So I need to do this again. If you could tell me how to do it via a USB drive, that would be great.

Load the binary file onto a USB flash drive that is less than 8Gb in size and plug it into either of the USB ports on the front of the switch (left one is usbflash0:, right one is usbflash1:) 

! at the switch: prompt enter the command -->

copy usbflash0:name_of_image.bin flash:name_of_image.bin 

! or

copy usbflash1:name_of_image.bin flash:name_of_image.bin 

! once the copy is complete tell the switch to boot

boot 

swicklund
Level 1
Level 1

If I understand you may want to reset it to factory defaults.  You can then load your OS and config via tftp.  

To reload:

To reset the switch:

• Press and hold the Mode button. The switch LEDs begin blinking after about 3 seconds.
  • Continue holding down the Mode button. The LEDs stop blinking after 7 more seconds, and then the switch reboots.

The switch now operates like an unconfigured switch. You can enter the switch IP information by using Express Setup.

The cisco link is:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960xr/hardware/quick/guide/b_gsg_2960xr.html

Hi Support

I have a problem, Cisco 2960X switch is showing boot fail when consoling on it. I tried pressing in the mode button but no changes at all, please assist.

Any feedback please?

Any feedback on this please ?

RB117892
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to finally get this working using hyperterminal (hilgraeve) at 115200 baud rate. Thx again for the help and ideas!

confreg01
Level 1
Level 1
I find xmodem to be very time consuming, hence the below:

Setup your tftp server.
Place your 2960X image on tftp.
Plug cable into Management (Interface FastEthernet0) port and apply below:

set IP_ADDR 10.0.0.98/255.255.255.0

set DEFAULT_ROUTER 10.0.0.5

ping 10.0.0.5

BOOT=tftp://10.0.0.5/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-7.E4.bin

boot tftp://10.0.0.5/c2960x-universalk9-mz.****.bin

NB*

To avoid the below, do the following

set

BOOT=tftp://10.0.0.5/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-7.E4.bin

The system is unable to boot automatically. The BOOT
environment variable needs to be set to a bootable
image.

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]: n
Switch>

en
conf t
int vl 1
ip add 10.0.0.89 255.255.255.0
no sh
exit
exit

conf t
int ra GigabitEthernet2/0/1 - 50
swi
swi mode acc
spann portfas
no shu
int ra Te2/0/1 - 2
swi
swi mode acc
spann portfas
no shu
end
archive download-sw /overwrite tftp://10.0.0.5/c2960x-universalk9-tar.152-7.E0a.tar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card