Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3560G password recovery snd deleting old imge from flash

m-abooali
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I have upgraded a Cisco Switch 3560G with new image but I cannot delete old image from the flash? I have used del /force /recursive cmd as well but image still in flash?

Also, I added login local cmd under console and VTYs without having enable pass and username but now, console is asking for a password? there is no password tho?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, wehn swicth restarted it gave error loading the new image and booted using the base image?

I had system boot cmd added to the config after I upgraded the IOS!?

regards,

Masood

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi

I remember there is a command to delete the ios from rommon, but it must identified first, using dir command:

dir flash:

once the old image is detected you can remove it. 

About the enable you can make a password recovery:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-2950-series-switches/12040-pswdrec-2900xl.html

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

View solution in original post

Hi try to boot the new image from rommon:

boot flash:<new image.bin>

If it works fine you should change the boot system under configure terminal to load the new one. 

Or try to fix the enable password first. 

Because you can change the boot selection from the old ios. 

configure terminal

no boot system flash:<old image.bin>
boot system flash:<new image.bin>
write

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DO NOT delete the old image without testing if the new IOS file is read-able or not.  

Yeap, I agree with Leo, you should verify if the new image is working as required, once it is ok you could remove the old one. 

Thanks but how do I test the new image?

may be checksum error?

I did not perform a checksum test. it loaded using old image.

Hi try to boot the new image from rommon:

boot flash:<new image.bin>

If it works fine you should change the boot system under configure terminal to load the new one. 

configure terminal

write

Hi

I remember there is a command to delete the ios from rommon, but it must identified first, using dir command:

dir flash:

once the old image is detected you can remove it. 

About the enable you can make a password recovery:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-2950-series-switches/12040-pswdrec-2900xl.html

Ok. Thanks.

I used the reset button and I am in the switch.

the problem is now this switch doesn't load the new IOS and gves error and boots using old IOS.

also, do I need to rename the config.txt too?

Regards,

Masood

yeap as it is mentioned on the link, you must follow each steps, try to load the new image from rommon using:

rommon1#boot flash:<new image.bin>

configure terminal

write

Thank you all for your support and answers. all answers were correct. I did not have any passwords on that switch so by resetting I was able to get in. it was the only cmd "login" under the line configs that was causing sw asking for login information.

as for image, I still need to perform the steps when we decide to upgard.

Best Regards,

Masood

Thank you, 

Have a great day 

:-)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card