cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3660 Router For Home Cable Broadband Use

Back2life
Level 1
Level 1

HELP! , I'm a newbie learning this networking stuff. I have a good working knowledge of TCP/IP networking. I have a Cisco 3660 router I'm wanting to use in place of a WRT54G router with my Charter cable internet service. I saw a youtube video where a guy demonstrated how to use a Cisco 2600 series router with home broadband service. I followed the video to setup my 3660 router. I can ping the LAN side (192.168.1.1) with no problem, the DHCP functions as it should. I can see activity on the on the WAN port indicator but no internet access. I have attached .doc file that shows the "sho run" info. My network will be setup as follows

Charter Cable Motorola Surf Modem - ethernet to MM fiber converter - MM fiber over to Sun Microsystems cabinet fiber closet - MM fiber card (on Cisco 3660 router FA6/0 WAN interface) - LAN interface FA0/0 - Cisco 3524 managed switch. One of the gigabit MM fiber ports on the Cisco 3524 feeds a 3Com Superstack 12 port gigabit fiber managed switch. My two Dell 2950 servers will be on the Superstack gigabit fiber backbone. The Cisco 3524 10/100 ports will have a Cisco access point, two IP addressible battery backup units, two Dell Desktops, and a LG Blu Ray player. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED!

21 Replies 21

Phil Minneci
Level 1
Level 1

"ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 FastEthernet0/0"

You're forwarding all unknown traffic out to fa0/0 - which is your .1 gateway of 192.168.1.0/24.  Isn't this your internal LAN (Dell Desktops, BluRay, etc...)?

You should be forwarding all unkown traffice out your fa6/0 (WAN) interface. 

Also, check if your Surf Modem has a "router behind a router" setting that needs to be configured.

I assume this is the video you're referencing:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5_NZAwSQDE

If you look at 4:04, he messes up on the static route command by first trying to type interface fa0/0 - then changes it to fa0/1.

HTH!

Phil Minneci wrote:

"ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 FastEthernet0/0"

You're forwarding all unknown traffic out to fa0/0 - which is your .1 gateway of 192.168.1.0/24.  Isn't this your internal LAN (Dell Desktops, BluRay, etc...)?

You should be forwarding all unkown traffice out your fa6/0 (WAN) interface. 

Also, check if your Surf Modem has a "router behind a router" setting that needs to be configured.

I assume this is the video you're referencing:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5_NZAwSQDE

If you look at 4:04, he messes up on the static route command by first trying to type interface fa0/0 - then changes it to fa0/1.

HTH!

Default route should never be pointed to a LAN interface. Use exclusively correct next-hop IP address.

Yes Phill, the fa0/0 is the LAN interface, the Fa6/0 is the WAN interface. You are correct, that is the video I was referencing. I will give that a try

Thanks Harold,

I'm using the 192.168.1.1 because I'm eliminating the Linksys WRT54G all together. The Cisco 3660 will be the only router in my network at this time.

Hi Willie,

Sorry for the confusion. I thought the 3660 would be behind the LinkSys. My comments about the nat statement and the fact that the default route is not required are still valid though.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hey Harold,

ok so you're saying that the

Ip nat inside source list 1 interface fastethernet 6/0 is incorrect? Should it point to the WAN or LAN interface?

Hi Willie,

You should definitely use the WAN interface.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Willie,

A couple of things.

The ip nat inside source statement should use the WAN interface as follow:

ip nat inside source list 1 interface FastEthernet6/0 overload

The static is not required as it will be received from the router on the WAN interface via DHCP. If you configure it though, the best practice is to specify the next hop, which will prevent you ARP cache to get filled with all Internet destination addresses.

Also, you should probably use something other than 192.168.1.0/24 on the LAN interface as this is nomally the default prefix being used by LinkSys routers, which can cause conflicts.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

ITS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU GUYS ARE SO AWESOME, ALL OF YOU WHO PITCHED IN ARE SUPERSTARS IN MY BOOK! I converted the WRT54G to function as a access point. There are only two other concerns remaining, the network seems much slower. We only have about 12 devices on our network but only about 7 are on at the same time.  I'm also concerned about security with the 3660, are there any settings I should enable? CDP? When I grow up and get out of my networking diapers, I will be sure to help others in need.

Thanks

Also, would it be beneficial to use 8.8.8.8 (Google) for DNS or have DNS resolution locally? This is where the speed problem seems to be. Once I visit a site, it comes up quickly the next time. When I visit new sites it takes a good while before the page loads. Is it because of DNS?

Thanks

Hi Willie,

If you want to use the DNS provided by your service provider, try adding import all to the dhcp pool as follow:

ip dhcp pool LAN

network 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 192.168.1.1

import all

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hey Harold,

how do I issue a command to remove the dns-server 8.8.8.8 line?

Test(config)#ip dhcp pool LAN

Test(dhcp-config)#no dns-server 8.8.8.8

Test(dhcp-config)#

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

hey Harold,

I will give that a try, also, with the old router, I used port forwarding to access my file server remotely on my iphone thru a program called VNC lite. How would I go about doing this with the 3660? Is this a safe way to access my server remotely?Thanks so much to all you guys who pitched in.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card