cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3750 and HP 1810-8G trunking

Adam Hudson
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to get a trunk working between my 3760 switch and an HP 1810-8G switch. I understand after reading the posts below that "trunking" for HP is akin to an etherchannel on the Cisco side of things, I don't want that. I want a link that carries multiple VLANs on it.

http://itpeopleworld.blogspot.com/2011/12/cisco-and-hp-procurve-trunk-8021q.html

http://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0000741.htm#S2

In the pictures attached I've tagged the ports for the VLANs I want them in (40,70,100) with 100 being my management VLAN. The HP VLAN carrying port should be port 1.

For the port on the cisco switch it's plugged into, here's my config:

interface GigabitEthernetx/x/x
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 40,70,100
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport nonegotiate

I doesn't matter whether or not I have the "switchport nonegotiate" in there or not, it still doesn't work.

Also attached is my "Setup Network" page. I have my switch IP and gateway in the management gateway because that's how my other switches are setup.

My problem:The HP switch and anything attached can't get to the rest of the network. I can't ping the HP switch or even anything statically assigned an IP and attached to the HP switch.

The port it's plugged into is showing Up and Up for status.

Any help is appreciated.

35 Replies 35

The way I wanted it setup was port 1 would be my (cisco terms) "trunk" port. Ports 2,3,4 would be VLAN 40 ports. Ports 5,6,7 would be VLAN 70 ports. Port 8 would be the management port and on VLAN 100.

In which case you would have.

Port 1 - Untagged in Vlan 1 and Tagged in the other three Vlans

Ports 2,3 and 4 - Untagged in Vlan 40

Ports 5,6, and 7 - Untagged in Vlan 70

In terms of management, you don't need a physical port because Vlan 100 is already carried across the Trunk, therefore you can get to the Switches IP address this way. You only need a physical management port if you want to do out of band management.

Thanks

Advocate, I don't think that's correct. I think what Jon is saying is correct. When I even tried to set Port 1 as untagged in 3 VLANs it doesn't let me.

I had Port 1 the wrong way round initially, I have edited my post.

Re-read it, I can assure you its now correct

If you set it up like this, it should work.

Thanks

It's working now, but not ideally how I'd like it. You said earlier 'In terms of management, you don't need a physical port because Vlan 100 is already carried across the Trunk, therefore you can get to the Switches IP address this way. You only need a physical management port if you want to do out of band management.'

So I should be able to (cisco term) "trunk" on not the management port and still get to the IP I've assigned to the switch?

Adam Hudson
Level 1
Level 1

My thanks to all of you fine gentlemen for helping me get this issue solved.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card