Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3750 Switch Stacking - Cabling Method

Simple question, prob already know the answer but I want to be sure...

Does it matter as far as performance and/or redundancy if you connect the switches via the stacking cables in a crossed fashion with one link connecting the top and bottom switch or straight down like it is shown in the Cisco Switch Stacking documentation?

This way:

/image/gif/paws/71925/cat3750-2.gif

or like this?

/image/gif/paws/71925/cat3750-7.gif

The documentation is not real clear on this.  I have always crossed them 1 -2 , etc... but I have been wrong before!

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Technically (as far as I know), it doesn't matter.

The second/bottom diagram is just more "tidy".  (BTW, I also know of no good reason to number the stack members as shown in your second/bottom diagram, i.e. top unit #2, then #1, #3 and #4.  It's contrary to expectations.  Might just as well, for just a stack of 4, use the first four prime numbers too. )

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card