Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3850, how to use xmodem to transfer config-files

ronnypetersen
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

On past cisco platforms, say c2950,2960x, I have used xmodem to upload config-files to running-config. Much easier than to use just copy and paste. Thats so 90s.

But on the c3850 platform, xmodem does not exist.

copy xmodem: running-config

Does anybody know how to accomplish something similar with the c3850?

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

e-olsen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ronny.

On the 3850-platform there is no way to copy config through the console.

You have to use another way to solve it by copying through another interface. (USB/TFTP/FTP/SCP/RCP/HTTP/HTTPS)

BR

Espen.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

Why wouldn't you use TFTP or FTP? Xmodem is very slow.

Mike

Hi Mike,

The only possibilty for me is xmodem via console or copy/paste. Or else I would ofcourse use TFTP/FTP.

I found the below about password recovery. I am wondering if you need to do this to enable Xmodem?

Reconnect the power cord to the or the active switch. Within 15 seconds, press the Mode button while the System LED is still flashing green. Continue pressing the Mode button until all the system LEDs turn on and remain solid; then release the Mode button.

•  

Switch:
    Xmodem file system is available.
    Base ethernet MAC Address: 20:37:06:4d:e9:80
    Verifying bootloader digital signature.

The system has been interrupted prior to loading the operating
    system software, console will be reset to 9600 baud rate.

Yes I think xmodem is available when switches are in rommon. Thanks to Cisco for not disabling that on the c3850 platform :)

Still I dont think xmodem is available when the IOS XE is loaded. Rommon is commonly used as you say when you need to do a password recovery or an IOS emergency upload. Ofcourse you will set the baud rate to 115200 and as little IOS image you can find.

I have a lot of these switches and maybe I am just lacy but xmodem works fine for other types of switches and if I can save couple of minutes using xmodem as compared to copy/paste I will do that. It eliminates the risk of the human factor as well.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If you have access to XModem then there's a strong possibility that you have access to the appliance.
If this is the case, you can use another of option: USB

I was waiting for that one, Leo :)

Yeah, I think it will have to be the USB approach. After all - never underestimate the power of USB.

Thanks for answering guys!

I forgot about the USB, great catch Leo! That is why you are the man!  :-)

LOL.
Thanks, Mike!

e-olsen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ronny.

On the 3850-platform there is no way to copy config through the console.

You have to use another way to solve it by copying through another interface. (USB/TFTP/FTP/SCP/RCP/HTTP/HTTPS)

BR

Espen.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card