cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3850 not accepting Tacacs settings

William Coats
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new 3850 that I am trying to get to work with Tacacs. I am able to authenticate to the ACS, but the switch doesn't pick up that the person logging in should have level 15 priviledge. The group the user belongs to has level 15 priveledge and gets it automatically when they log into other switches. On other switches when the user logs in they are at the hostname# prompt. On the 3850 they get a hostname> prompt. then when you issue the enable command, it doesn't want the users password it wants the enable password that was set with the enable secret command.

Here is the config:

aaa new-model
!
!
aaa authentication login vty group tacacs+ local
aaa authorization exec vty group tacacs+ if-authenticated
aaa accounting exec vty start-stop group tacacs+
aaa accounting commands 0 vty start-stop group tacacs+
aaa accounting commands 1 vty start-stop group tacacs+
aaa accounting commands 15 vty start-stop group tacacs+
!
!
!
!
!
aaa session-id common

!

ip tacacs source-interface GigabitEthernet2/1/1

!

tacacs server ACS

address ipv4 10.0.0.20

key 7 XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

single-connection

!

line vty 0 4

exec-timeout 15 0

authorization exec vty

accounting commands 0 vty

accounting commands 1 vty

accounting commands 15 vty

accounting exec vty

logging synchronous

login authentication vty

transport input ssh

line vty 5 15

exec-timeout 15 0

authorization exec vty

accounting commands 0 vty

accounting commands 1 vty

accounting commands 15 vty

accounting exec vty

logging synchronous

login authentication vty

transport input ssh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

WOW

That is a surprise. Thank you for posting back to the forum to tell us that it is solved and what the problem is. Now that we know what it was I think that I have had an experience where the single connection statement caused an issue. But I sure did not think of that while we were working on your issue.

Congratulations on getting it solved. Perhaps now you can mark this question as answered so that other readers will know that they will find an answer here.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Can you try this:

aaa authentication enable group tacacs+ enable

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

The suggestion from Alain will certainly address the part about being prompted for the enable password rather than the user password. But if I understand the original post correctly the real concern is that users on other switches go directly to privilege mode when they login (do not need to use enable command). And this suggestion does not address that aspect.

I would have thought that the "aaa authorization exec vty group tacacs+ if-authenticated" would have taken care of going directly to enable mode. Perhaps the original poster can tell us whether the other switches (that work as expected) have any different aaa authorization commands configured?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

The other switches have the same aaa statements. If fact I printed out the config from another switch and used that as the template for setting up this switch. It happens to be the first time we have used this model. The only change I made was in how I told the switch to contact the Tacacs server. I used the new tacacs server commands instead of the old tacacs-server command. The new command puts in the same information, it just does it in a different format.

tacacs server ACS

address ipv4 10.0.0.20

key 7 143A1D1E1F5738

single-connection

The ACS is whatever name you decide to use. I think it is only locally significant.

On the acs I did put in both of the ip addresses that the switch could be using to get to the server. The switch has connections to 2 different core switches.

Thanks for the additional information. Would you post the output of the command show tacacs

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Here is the output:

Tacacs+ Server -  public  :

Server name: ACS

Server address: 10.0.0.20

Server port: 49

Socket opens:         31

Socket closes:         31

Socket aborts:           0

Socket errors:            0

Socket Timeouts:         0

Failed Connect Attempts:      0

Total Packets Sent:         44

Total Packets Recv:         37

Expected Replies:          0

Let me know if you need anything else.

Would you add this line to your configuration and see if it makes any difference?

aaa authorization exec default group tacacs+ if-authenticated

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

That didn't change anything.

Next idea.

Thanks for trying. Next idea is that perhaps running debug aaa authorization (and maybe debug tacacs) might shed some light on this.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I converted this into a ticket after I gathered the debug information. I couldn't find anything int the data that would explain the problem. After talking to Cisco support we madde 1 change to my configuration. We removed the single connection statement from the tacacs server ACS section. The man fromo Cisco said that he had seen the single connection statement causing problems. With that statement removed I can log in and be straight at the exec prompt, just where I wanted to be.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

WOW

That is a surprise. Thank you for posting back to the forum to tell us that it is solved and what the problem is. Now that we know what it was I think that I have had an experience where the single connection statement caused an issue. But I sure did not think of that while we were working on your issue.

Congratulations on getting it solved. Perhaps now you can mark this question as answered so that other readers will know that they will find an answer here.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

please share tacacs command for cisco 3850 model

The original post uses these commands for tacacs and indicates that it works

tacacs server ACS

address ipv4 10.0.0.20

key 7 XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I have this version of the command for a 3850 and it works also

tacacs-server host 192.168.127.6 key <removed>

I would think that either version of the commands should work and the first version might be slightly preferred since it is the new formt.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card