cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3850 switch with 12/24 10GB SFP capability?

Brett Verney
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I work at a campus with an entire fleet of 3750 switches at the access and distribution layers and some will be out of warranty by end of year. We are looking to replace them with the new 3850 series switches but I can't see a 12/24 port model with 10GB SFP capabilities to replace our distribution switches (3750G-12S-12)'s.

We are in the process of implementing high denisty wireless and definitelly require a 10GB backbone to the network core and would prefer to do it with a 3850 equivalent of the 3750's at this stage.

Will there be a 3850 with 12 or 24 10GB SFP slots released sometimes soon? If so, what is the ETA on release date?

Thanks in advance

Brett

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Will there be a 3850 with 12 or 24 10GB SFP slots released sometimes soon?

You need to contact your Cisco SE/AM and ask them to raise a Performance Enhancement Request.  Currently, Cisco is "sitting" on the plan to manufacture an SFP-based 3850 due to lack of interest from the public.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Will there be a 3850 with 12 or 24 10GB SFP slots released sometimes soon?

You need to contact your Cisco SE/AM and ask them to raise a Performance Enhancement Request.  Currently, Cisco is "sitting" on the plan to manufacture an SFP-based 3850 due to lack of interest from the public.

Thanks for the quick reply Leo!

I've just sent an email to one of my Cisco reps... And if what you say is true, I guess I'll have to go with another solution unless they are released within a few months.

Regards,

Brett

unless they are released within a few months

Try two years.   < --- Personal opinion.

I've just sent an email to one of my Cisco reps

Cisco has been asking for feedbacks from Cisco local representative because they don't know whether or not this model is financially viable.  Word has it that there's a few dummy units floating around in Cisco HQ.  Talk to your Cisco reps and insist you want them to raise a PER.  Without a PER, an all-SFP-unit will never materialize.

I'll have to go with another solution

Cheapest solution would be the 3750X-12S or the 3750X-24S.

Thanks for the ratings.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: