Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4500-x High CPU load

Andrey Avdeev
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, team!

I have 4500-x switches in VSS. And a few days ago the CPU load completely 50%.  

Core 0: CPU utilization for five seconds: 45%; one minute: 40%; five minutes: 32%
Core 1: CPU utilization for five seconds: 56%; one minute: 61%; five minutes: 69%
PID Runtime(ms) Invoked uSecs 5Sec 1Min 5Min TTY Process
5024 1936680 94884962 376 50.82 50.50 50.01 0 iosd

IOS XE version - Cisco IOS Software, IOS-XE Software, Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch  Software (cat4500e-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 03.08.01.E RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2) and uptime is 41 weeks, 3 days, 11 hours, 5 minutes. 

Is it possible that the issue with IOS XE version? Is someone has such experience?

in general, i want to make migration from this IOS version to 3.06.06E, looks like it's more stable.

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

3.6.6 is very stable version across the ios-xe platforms , 3.8.1 is an early deployment you would be better off with the md release the  main deployment

there were a few bugs in earlier release for iosd on vss in 4500x it could be a repeat bug or something similar , I checked your release notes below I see some iosd bugs but nothing which relates to high cpu though

unless your hammering the switch its most likely the software and changing it should fix it

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/ol-38xe-4500x.html

does this provide any further info on the process

show process cpu detail process iosd sorted | ex 0.0

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

3.6.6 is very stable version across the ios-xe platforms , 3.8.1 is an early deployment you would be better off with the md release the  main deployment

there were a few bugs in earlier release for iosd on vss in 4500x it could be a repeat bug or something similar , I checked your release notes below I see some iosd bugs but nothing which relates to high cpu though

unless your hammering the switch its most likely the software and changing it should fix it

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/ol-38xe-4500x.html

does this provide any further info on the process

show process cpu detail process iosd sorted | ex 0.0

Hi Mark, 

looks like you are right, Sir. I have found the similar issue with the current IOS XE version. Please check attached file.

Thank you!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card