Replies

Cisco 4500X VSS change interface vlan and default gateway

as00001111
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

I have problems with that.

Please see my attached screenshot.

Before, vlan 150 was my management interface.

I want to change it to vlan 251.

So i did:

conf t

int vlan 251

ip address 192.168.251.10

no sh

end.

First I noticed, why is the type "manual" and not "NVRAM" like interface 150? is that correct?

Then I changed the default-gateway to 192.168.251.254.

But when I do "sh ip route" it still has the the old default-gateway.

When I do a sh run all, ip routing is enabled and there is a static ip route.

These things don't show up with a normal "sh run".

What do I have to do?

PS: We don't need ip routing on this switch. Maybe it's enabled by default. Or it was automatically enabled when I configured the 251 interface.

Can't say.

4 Replies 4

Cisco Freak
Level 4
Level 4

IP routing is turned on in the switch and you have static default route pointing to 192.168.150.254.

Try this command:

no ip routing

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The 4500x series switches have "ip routing" enabled, because they are usually used as core switches?

If you don't want "ip routing" than you can simply disable it and just use default gateway or delete ip default gateway and just leave the default route  Just use one or the other and not both. Also, delete the ip for vlan 150.

HTH

If I leave ip routing enabled I have to configure a new static default route?

And I'm wondering why the current default route only shows up in the "sh run all", not in the normal "sh run" ?

Hello

That is normal - If you have both ip default-gateway AND ip routing enabled, then the default- gateway won't be used even though the command is still showing in the configuration of the switch.

Now if you proceed and disable ip routing - static routes will be removed from the rib and the D/G will then get enabled and show up when you do a show ip route as the default gateway 

Note: if the DG has the same next hop as the static default  then when you disable ip routing you shouldn't really experience any outage 

If you reenable ip routing then you will need to re apply the static routes and the DG has I explained won't be used by the switch.

res 

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card