cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4500x VSS

Steven Williams
Level 4
Level 4

So I have been reconfiguring a 4500x pair into VSS today and I have seen some configurations where the virtual link 1 and 2 port channels are shared between ports on each switch. 

So port 1 on sw 1 and port 1 on sw 2 is part of a port-channel assigned to virtual link 1 

and port 2 on sw 1 and port 2 on sw 2 is part of port-channel assigned to virtual link 2

I configure it so that two ports on each switch belong to same port-channel? Both ways seem to be working, but which is the correct way?

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As per cisco recomendation config - Switch 1 have a Virtual link 1, Switch 2 have a Virtual Link 2

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello

That seems to be correct-

Example:
SW1
switch virtual domain 12
switch 1
exit

interface range x/x x
channel-group 10 mode on

interface port-channel 10
switchport
switch virtual link 1
no shutdown
exit

SW2
switch virtual domain 12
switch 2
exit

interface range x/x x
channel-group 10 mode on

interface port-channel 10
switchport
switch virtual link 2
no shutdown
exit

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

i wonder why it works the other way and what issues it would have in a failed scenario....

Is is best practice to use a different Portchannel id per switch but it should not make a difference is you use the same id as Portchannel group numbers are locally significant.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Campus/VSS30dg/campusVSS_DG/VSS-dg_appa-configs.html

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card