cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4507R+E with WS-X45-SUP8-E STUCK in Rommon mode

Ruheal Maqsood
Level 1
Level 1

Active supervisor module is working properly in slot 3. Standby supervisor installed in slot 4 stucked in ROMMON mode. I swapped the cards but the result is same.  Please help

rommon 4 >

Rom Monitor (P) Version 15.1(1r)SG1
Compiled Wed 14-Aug-13 17:15 [RLS]

System : WS-X45-SUP8-E Slot [4] Peer [3] Active
Chassis : WS-C4507R*E Mod [1][2][5]
Re~ision ( :(CPU(2.1( BOARD(4.0( FXGA ;.15N2.9955
Memory : 4096 MB
Date : Wed May 31 04:40:21 2017

rommon 1 >
rommon 1 >confreg 0x2102
usage: confreg

rommon 7 >reset

Resmtting .......

Verifying FPGA (P) Signature ....................... PA[SED
Vmrifying(ROMMON (P) [igniturm ......... PASSED

*(Rom(Monitor( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( *
* Copyright (c) 2012-2013 by Cisco Systems, Inc. *
* All rights reserved. *

Rom Monitor (P) Version 15.1(1r)SG1
Compiled Wed 14-Aug-13 17:15 [RLS]

System : WS-X45-SUP8-E Slot [4] Peer [3] Active
Chassis : WS-C4507R*E Mod [1][2][5]
Re~ision ( :(CPU(2.1( BOARD(4.0( FXGA ;.15N2.9955
Memory : 4096 MB
Date : Wed May 31 04:41:20 2017

Type Control-C to prevent autobooting....
config-registez = 8x10:
Autobooting using BOOT variable specified file.....

Could not find a valid file in BOOT environment variable.
BOOT variable can be set from IOS. To find currently set
Rom Monitor ~ariible{, pleasm tyxe '{et'(command.

Foz help on choosing a boot method, type 'confreg' command.
rommon 0 >

4 Replies 4

From ROMMON on that SUP can you post the results of the "dir" command?

I suspect there is either no image present or an image that is corrupted.

You could also try instead of reset use the boot command , with your image name

rommon 1 > boot bootflash:cat4500es8-universalk9.SPA.03.06.00.E.152-2.E.bin

This worked for me! I was able to console into the Supervisor that was apparently stuck in ROMMON mode and enter in the syntax defined here, that is "boot bootflash:cat4500es8-universalk9.SPA.03.06.00.E.152-2.E.bin" after the "rommon 1 >" marker, with a different file that is, since my 4507 was on version 3.11.2.E, and the supervisor then took about 10 minutes to go through a process, but it finished up that process, and I left it alone on the console until it prompted me for a login, and it came back up on the IOS instead of ROMMON, and it was no longer in an "Uknown state under "sh mod" command via an SSH session.

I know it is not always possible to do reboots depending on what your device is doing, but my box is only in a lab and currently has no connections on it, so after checking "sh mod" in my SSH session, when the problem supervisor corruption was corrected, I  closed my console session out of that now fixed supervisor, went back into my ssh session to the box, and issued a "redundancy reload shelf" command to the box just to let the box start fresh, even though I could see both supervisors back up again even before doing the additional reboot. 

I think this was indeed an issue that the ios somehow got corrupted on the supervisor to begin with, and so the supervisor just  didn't know where else to boot from except for the rommon. I also made sure before I issued "redundancy reload shelf"  that my boot statement was set correctly because I think the box was rebooted without one set previously, and that is what may have caused the issue to begin with for the supervisor, but either way, I can now see both supervisor in the " sh mod" command and they are back in business Thanks for the advice!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Autobooting using BOOT variable specified file.....

Could not find a valid file in BOOT environment variable.
BOOT variable can be set from IOS. To find currently set

I know why the line card is behaving like this.  

The configuration register is configured for "0x2102", as best practice recommendation.  This setting is a two-edged-sword:  If the boot variable string is correct, then the line card will boot normally.  If the boot variable string is incorrect, and the error message (above) points to this case, then the line card will boot into ROMmon.  

To force the line card to boot the first available (and valid) IOS file, change the config-registry value to 0x2101 and reboot/reset the line card.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card