cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4948-10G IOS Switch Upgrade gone pear shaped...

Zubair.Sayed_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I performed an upgraded on a 4948 switch and for some reason the switch kept booting with the old IOS. I was not sure if I needed to change the boot sequence but I performed this upgrade on some of our other 4948's and no issues.

I eventually deleted the older IOS version and left the latest version on and reloaded switch and now switch only boots in rommon.

I managed to configure the ip info and tftp server ip etc and using the following command as suggested in the rommon help, but it keeps coming back saying 'file not found', when I have checked the file does exist in the tftp server and in the tftpboot folder.

See error message below:

rommon 26 >boot tftp://10.250.150.40/tftpboot/cat4500-ipbase-mz.122-54.SG1   

Tftp Session details are ....

Filename     : /tftpboot/cat4500-ipbase-mz.122-54.SG1

IP Address   : 10.250.100.39

Loading from TftpServer: 10.250.150.40

Tftp session failed: File not found

Thanks

Zubair

4 Replies 4

Christian Bauer
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Zubair,

TFTP-Servers are often "jailed" into the tftpboot-directory. This means that the root for the files are NOT /tftpboot/

so try boot tftp://10.250.150.40/cat4500-ipbase-mz.122-54.SG1  

also check the config-register of your switch. maybe it's set that the switch will boot the first image in flash - not that one that you have chosen with boot system command.

It is also a good idea to check the boot-image version if you have an older 4948. Check release notes or just upgrade to the most current version.

Upgrade procedure for 49xx-Switches is a little bit different than on most other models - see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/OL_9592.html#wp305142

Greetings,

Christian

Christian,

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried excluding the /tftpboot folder does not work, I have also created a seperate folder on the tftp server and tested and also does not seem to work.

The confreg command does not allow me to set anything, it has some questions that need to be answered but if I type confreg 0x2102 does not work.

Furthermore I actually upgraded the rom before the actual IOS upgrade using the latest version (cat4500-ios-promupgrade-122_31r_SGA7)

Any other ideas?

Hello Zubair,

check the logs of your TFTP-Server if the switch tries to get the file. If you can't see any tries than there must be something wrong with your IP-Config of cabling between TFTP and Switch.

If the switch tries to get a file and can't get it - the log should give you a hint where the problem resides.

normally some mistyping or path-issues are common problems.

Christian

I will check the logs, but we have tried using 2 servers.

Also I doubt it can be file or path issues as my colleagues have also tried this from seperate workstations and the same result.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card