Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6500 Adding Redundant SUP Module

rshiva62
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We have a Cisco 6506 chassis with single supervisor. We have purchased a new supervisor so that we have dual SUP modules at the end of the day.

I have looked up online and cannot find the right document for inserting the additional module and getting the IOS in sync with the existing active SUP. Can anyone refer to any online documentation for this?

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The Sup module is hot swap able meaning you can simply insert it into the right slot without turning off the switch. That said, if you are going to do this, have a maintenance window in case something goes wrong unexpectedly. Regarding the IOS, ask Cisco to load the same exact software version you already have on the first sup into the redundant sup you are ordering. This was you simply insert the sup and configure SSO for redundancy as the IOS will not be transfer from one sup to another.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/71585-cat6k-red-supeng-swimg-upg.html

HTH

Reza,

Thanks for your note. Unfortunately we have already received the new SUP module and it is different than what I have in the existing switches. Can you please let me know how to proceed?

Hi,

If you have a spare chassis, insert it in there and upgrade it to match what you have in your production switch.  If not, you may have to insert the second sup in its slot and use console to upgrade it. 

HTH

I do not have a spare chassis. The only alternative is to put that new module to my existing switch. Is there any procedures or link to follow once that module is inserted to my existing chassis?

So, when you insert the second sup, it will boot up and load whatever IOS it has. Since the IOS will not be the same as the primary sup, you will not be able to configure SSO and so, if you issue "sh redundancy" you will not see the second sup as "hot".

Now, you would have to figure out a way to connect to it and I think the only way you can get to it is by console since the sups for the 6500 series don't really have an out-of-band mgmt port. What type of sup do you have?

HTH

These are SUP-2T10G modules.

Ok, Sup-2T has a copper (RJ45) Interface (CMP) with its own firmware. So, after the boot, you maybe able to get to the switch through that port and load the IOS that way. I have not used that port in a while so, I don't remember if you can actually do this but it is worth a try.

HTH

Thanks Reza. I have gone through some documentation online and put some steps together. Can you please review and let me know if this is accurate?

I would appreciate all the help since I am doing this for the first time.

1. Establish a console session to the active supervisor.
  2. Insert the new Supervisor module (SUP2T-10G) into Slot 6 on catalyst chassis. Allow the SUP to bootup as standby SUP.  Enter the command “ show module”

There are three states –RPR (status shows cold), RPR+ (status shows Warm) and SSO (status shows Hot).

1. Verify the redundancy mode status from the active SUP engine. Perform “ show redundancy”. From console/telnet/ssh session copy the IOS from the existing SUP to the standby SUP

Copy bootdisk:\<IOS name> slavedisk0:\

1. Once copy is completed, issue the following command to see any boot statements

Sh run | in boot

Verify the boot variables for both the SUP engines. Enter “ show bootvar”

sh bootvar

BOOT variable = bootdisk:s2t54-advipservicesk9-mz.SPA.152-1.SY4.bin,1;

CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist

BOOTLDR variable does not exist

Configuration register is 0x2102

1. When you write the config will be synced to the standby sup. This will make sure the new standby sup will come with the copied IOS after reload
  2. Issue the command “hw-module module 6 reset” which will reset the sup and it will now come up with the same IOS that you have in the existing SUP.
  3. Wait for the standby Supervisor engine to come online and synchronize the configuration
  4. Verify the redundancy status. Perform “show module” and “show redundancy states”.
  5. Configure Stateful switchover. Perform commands as below.

conf t

redundancy

mode sso

Hi,

yes, the steps seem to be correct. I just have never done this before so, can't be certain all steps will work as said. One other thing you should do is to open a ticket and have TAC check your current config and the procedures. Also, have them online during the process so, they can help troubleshot any issues in case something goes wrong. 

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/37182

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card