cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6506, VS-S720-10G replacement

abdullahsn91
Level 1
Level 1
  • I have 2 core switches of model  catalyst 6506-e. Both are interconnected by VSS. 

Each core switch have 2 supervisor engine module VS-S720-10G. Total 4 supervisor engine module. If one module in switch A failed then the other switch B module takeover. 

The problem is one module in switch B is faulty. Which is not active. And i want to replace it without downtime.

Question: how can i replace it ? 

6 Replies 6

Hi

Highly recommend you to read this document.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-virtual-switching-system-1440/117850-config-quadsupvss-00.html 

Then come after before with specific questions.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@abdullahsn91 wrote:
And i want to replace it without downtime.

Make sure the replacement line card has the same IOS version as the rest of the VSS.  

Make sure the replacement line card has the same DFC/PFC card as the rest.

Need help. If the new line card have different ios then how to replace the ios with the current version

Secondly, how the new card will take configuration? Should it take by itself from active supervisor engine or i have to write command for it

@abdullahsn91 wrote:
If the new line card have different ios then how to replace the ios with the current version

Look at the Sup720.  Does it have a CF slot?

Yes it have the CF slot. I also need to know how to copy configuration to disk0/cf and how to retrive it.

copy flash:filename.bin disk0:
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card