cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6509 replacement supervisor IOS - How do I copy across?

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi All

We have an issue with a supervisor on our 6509 running VSS

The supervisor is stuck in a boot loop and will not come online so we will replace it.

My question is, if the replacement supervisor has a different version of IOS, what will happen?

will it boot up or be stuck in Rommon? will the active supervisor automatically upgrade the image to match?

how would I get the image across if not?

cheers

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Fastest way is to use an external CF to copy the IOS from the existing VSS to the new replacement.
Don't have a supported CF? Look at the faulty ones. There should be one that can be used.

Hi Leo

We can give this a go.

Out of curiosity ,what would happen if we try to boot the new card with a different IOS on it, will it boot into RPR mode or get stuck in Rommon ?

Hi,

Out of curiosity ,what would happen if we try to boot the new card with a different IOS on it, will it boot into RPR mode or get stuck in Rommon ?

It may boot but VSS will be broken and that is not good. Make sure the new sup has the same exact IOS as the working chassis before bring it online as VSS. If the new sup does not have the same IOS, you want to upgrade or downgrade it first before adding it to VSS.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card