Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6509 switch high cpu utilization because of Kernel process

jubair S
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Team,

we are experiencing high CPU utilization in our core 6509 switches intermittently because of high kernel process. Kernel process is going high within every 30 seconds and coming back to normal within 2 seconds. I checked the configuration, it seems to be fine. Plese find the attached CPU utilization, version and modules.

Regards,

Jubair

Message was edited by: jubair S

3 Replies 3

fjjaime09
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I have exactly the same problem, Did you finally solve it?... if so, how?.. because although it is not affecting the service, I have an alarm always triggered.

Thanks 

Rgds

Fer

Hi, fjjaime09... Since I see according attachments from jubair.salim - "System image file is "sup-bootdisk:s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-vz.122-18.SXF15a.bin" - the c6500 still use the modular IOS, despite the fact that from my perspective it is not a very successful project... and now Cisco do not support Cisco IOS Software Modularity (release 12.2(33)SXJ and later releases do not support Cisco IOS Software Modularity). If you are also using modular IOS on c6500, is any reason to still use it? From my point of view, it is wiser to upgrade to native monolithic IOS... any release from Safe Harbor (http://cisco.com/go/safeharbor)...

Hi, 

I get your point, but I have two 6509 with almost the same configuration and running IOS 122-18.SXF12a, and one of them is working without this issue meanwhile the other show this CPU peak every 30 seconds.

If it is for the IOS, it should happen in the two chassis, isn´t it?

Thanks for your replay, I will try to schedule a migration window for this two chassis, but it will take time, It is the production environment of all our core network....in the middle I will keep looking.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco