Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6509 tacacs authentication problem

ROHIT SHARMA
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Friends,

I have a Cisco 6509 switch running Version 12.2(33)SXI7 configured aaa new-model.

I have 2 tacacs+ servers configured for authentication.

When I test the authentication using the "test aaa" command it works fine and the authentication result is successful, but when I actually try to log in via SSH, the same user its not able to authenticate and keeps asking for the password.

I captured packets on the uplink interface and could see that for the "test aaa" command, the switch was sending tacacs+ authentication packets to the aaa server, but when I actually try to log in, it wasn't sending any such request.

It's a very weird issue and I am thinking if it could be due to some stuck process or any other issue which could be resolved by a reboot. the switch has been up for 10 years now.

Any help would be much appreciated. 

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check logs on the 6509 when the SSH is tried , and also the aaa server (TACACS) logs , 

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

It doesn't show anything in the logs when I attempt to login. Any other ideas please?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card