Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6880-X VSS Upgrade procedure

Nagra_net
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have two Catalyst 6880-X in a VSS pair that I need to upgrade to one of the suggested release. I don't have any FEX attached. I'm currently running version 15.1(2)SY6 and would need to go to either 15.2.1-SY6 or 15.5.1-SY1. 

I have a maintenance window to do this upgrade this weekend, but I still need to minimize downtime/impact as much as possible.

The documentation I found is a bit confusing, it mentions ISSU and eFSU (enhanced Fast Software Upgrade). I'm not sure what the difference is between the two. I found a compatibility matrix that shows the different minor versions in the same major version and if they are compatible for ISSU/eFSU, but no indication anywhere if you can do a hit-less or minimal downtime upgrade between major versions.

Can someone confirm what the best way to upgrade this pair of switches is to minimize downtime?

Also, is there something that would make it better to go to one version or the other (15.2 or 15.5)?

Thank you,

Luke

36 Replies 36

Yes
Even if you have maintenance window then just reload

Before you begin, it is imperative you answer this basic question:  Are you upgrading to 15.5(1)SY train? 

cPanel
Level 1
Level 1

What is involved with upgrading to the 15.5(1)SY train?

User24571
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can I upgrade 6800-vss from 15.2(1)SY4 to 15.5(1)SY7 using ISSU?

@User24571 wrote:

Can I upgrade 6800-vss from 15.2(1)SY4 to 15.5(1)SY7 using ISSU?

Do not use ISSU or FSU/eFSU to upgrade to 15.5(1)SY train.

Honestly, I'm getting up from under that switch. I'm not a fan of the upgrade process, which has been nothing but a headache from day 1. I have yet to successfully upgrade it . Also, it feeds 12 6800IAs ToR switches I have, which has been EoL for well over a year or 2 now. Overall, Im ax'ing that suit all together and moving towards Nexus 9000 series switches. I already have two Nexus 9000 cores in place (9504s).

Yes true
With my experience for the upgrade that still buggy still load of wather mark error on the log,
Also we have already moved to N9K already, VPC with layer 3 works well,

Back to this topic, if any one wants to update that , do not expected ISSU works well, but just make sure dual for all up/downlinks upgrade secondary one --- WAIT a while and make sure STANDBY HOT status back before another one
Peer Processor Information :
----------------------------
Standby Location = slot 1/3
Current Software state = STANDBY HOT <--
Uptime in current state = :
Image Version = Cisco IOS Software, s6t64 Software (s6t64-IPSERVICESK9-M), Version 15.5(1)SY3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc5)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2019 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 20-Mar-19 06:06 by prod_rel_team
BOOT = bootdisk:
CONFIG_FILE =
BOOTLDR =
Configuration register = 0x2102
----------------------------

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card