Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 800 series problems

Doberman76
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We use 2 Cisco 800 routers for our VPN connection from our main site to our satellite location.  The 800 at the satellite location needs to be reset at least twice a week due to it dropping connection.  Is this a sign that the router needs to be replaced?  And if so, is there a way to copy the configuration of the  old router to the new router?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The 800 at the satellite location needs to be reset at least twice a week due to it dropping connection.

A reboot/reset of the appliance and the link gets working?  I'm suspecting this could be an IOS bug.

ajaju
Level 1
Level 1

What IOS do you have running on the device?

It looks like a bug.

Andrew Devine
Level 1
Level 1

Are these connected via ADSL?  We had issues with our Cisco 877s and the Alactel chipset not playing well with the new 21CN BT DSLAMs in the UK. 

You can upgrade the DSL firmware which makes it more stable but we have moved to the 887VA with the broadcom chipset, this is certified with our service provider.

Thanks for the responses.....maybe a bug is the issue.  It happened again yesterday where I had to remotely restart the router.  Users at the satellite location use the vpn to connect to our terminal server, the program that is installed on the TS seems to be the big issue.  When users type in the TS program, it literally takes 5-10 seconds before the characters appear.  However, if I restart the router, things work fine for roughly 24 hours before the issues come back.

Upgrade the IOS but don't reboot the router.  When you see the problem again the router will use the new IOS.

I think I know what bug you are hitting.

The next time you start facing this issue, instead of rebooting the router, issue the command "clear ip route *". This is a workaround for that bug.

Also, which IOS are you running?

The router at the satellite location is running 12.3, and the router at the main location is ver 12.4

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card