Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 800 Series Router Working without Memory

easamoah1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

I had a power problem with my 891 router and for that reason the 256 memory in in the router got blown,i realised that when i take off the memory,the router works perfect but when i put another memory,it becomes very hot and all the lights on the router stays up and never goes off.I have now took off the 256 memory and the router is functioning,i want to know negative side of using the router without the memory card.And if i can continue to use it without the memory for good. Thank You. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dennis Wieringa
Level 1
Level 1

im guessing that it isnt your memory that is blown, but rather the memory slot of the router.

and i think that the it will runs just fine without the 256 dimm, because according to this article your router has 512mb by default.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/800-series-routers/data_sheet_c78-519930.html

but you can run into problems with future ios versions or features.

so with the future in mind i would see if you could RMA it, or swap out the motherboard to gain a fully functioning device.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Dennis Wieringa
Level 1
Level 1

im guessing that it isnt your memory that is blown, but rather the memory slot of the router.

and i think that the it will runs just fine without the 256 dimm, because according to this article your router has 512mb by default.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/800-series-routers/data_sheet_c78-519930.html

but you can run into problems with future ios versions or features.

so with the future in mind i would see if you could RMA it, or swap out the motherboard to gain a fully functioning device.

easamoah1
Level 1
Level 1

hello Dennis, thank you for your responds, unfortunately for me,the router is not working any more,all the led lights stays on when ever i power it up, and this has happened to two of my cisco 892 routers, because of this all the routers are not booting anymore, this happened because of power fluctuations in my office,please is there anyway i can get the motherboards of this routers to buy.Kindly help.

Thank you very much.

Hi Easamoah,

i found a RMA form on the Cisco site with the rules and numbers for you to use to find out if you can send the modem to Cisco for repair.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/rma/3582.html

but i guess its cheaper, to look on ebay for a 2nd hand one, and just swap out the motherboard of the modem.

and i sugest you place a surge protected poweroutlet, to hopefully prevent future burn-outs.

let me know if you need any help, ill see what i can do

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card