cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 861W

Joe Conklin
Level 1
Level 1

I have a questions about the limitations of this unit.

1) Its limited to 2 VLANs. How exactly do they do this if it runs Cisco IOS?

2) Can this router be used as router on a stick if I need sub interfaces on inside interfaces or are they JUST switch ports?

3) Are there any user limitation like the ASA or PIX solutions where you have to buy a user bundles?

4) Are there any limitations that I'm not aware of or mentioned? I want a full IOS not a limited IOS router/firewall.

5) I mainly sell and install ASA 5505s which offer SSL VPN using AnyConnect or built in is the IPSec VPNs which use a Cisco VPN client. As the 861W doesn't support SSL VPN as far as I can see does the IPSec VPN use a Cisco VPN client?

6) Last why doesn't this unit support SSL VPNs? Isn't that a standard feature of Cisco IOS?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Wireless VLANs 2
Encrypted Wireless VLANs 2

2) Can this router be used as router on a stick if I need sub interfaces on inside interfaces or are they JUST switch ports?

That model only supports 2 VLAN's. However, if you want it to do the routing, you could always trunk the VLANs to the router and create subinterfaces for each VLAN (router on a stick).

3) Are there any user limitation like the ASA or PIX solutions where you have to buy a user bundles?
The Number of Recommended Users is 5

4) Are there any limitations that I'm not aware of or mentioned? I want a full IOS not a limited IOS router/firewall.
Hope you covered around.

5) I mainly sell and install ASA 5505s which offer SSL VPN using AnyConnect or built in is the IPSec VPNs which use a Cisco VPN client. As the 861W doesn't support SSL VPN as far as I can see does the IPSec VPN use a Cisco VPN client?

It not supporting SSL VPNs it doesn't all the same stuff the ASA does as far as I can see.
And IPsec is a protocol which sits on top of the Internet Protocol (IP) layer. It allows two or more hosts to communicate in a secure manner.
So, any VPN (site to site or site to remove (client vpn) will run on IPsec only.

6) Last why doesn't this unit support SSL VPNs? Isn't that a standard feature of Cisco IOS?
It is typical to answer, it is not designed for that feature as simple as that and this unit may have some extra features which others dont have.
And this is not at all related to IOS as you can run any IOS which can run on 871 also.

Hope this is clear to you...

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

This document may help you solve some of your questions:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/data_sheet_c78_461543.html

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi,

Wireless VLANs 2
Encrypted Wireless VLANs 2

That model only supports 2 VLAN's. However, if you want it to do the routing, you could always trunk the VLANs to the router and create subinterfaces for each VLAN (router on a stick).

The Number of Recommended Users is 5

Hope you covered around.

It not supporting SSL VPNs it doesn't all the same stuff the ASA does as far as I can see.
And IPsec is a protocol which sits on top of the Internet Protocol (IP) layer. It allows two or more hosts to communicate in a secure manner.
So, any VPN (site to site or site to remove (client vpn) will run on IPsec only.

It is typical to answer, it is not designed for that feature as simple as that and this unit may have some extra features which others dont have.
And this is not at all related to IOS as you can run any IOS which can run on 871 also.

Hope this is clear to you...

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card