Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 867 Router Configuration

Gebraffe75
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Hopefully I'm in the right place to post this query. I just purchased a Cisco 867 router and want to get the unit configured. I should say this is my first time configuring a Cisco router and while it's steep learning curve it seems it's the lack of documentation and support that is holding me back more than anything else other than a lack of Cisco training.

The unit is connected via comm port using the supplied console cable connected to an express card with 9 pin D connector. I have connected to the router using Hyper Terminal. After the unit boots I do not get offered the prompt to enter the Initial Configuration Dialogue which should be the norm. The boot gets as far as:

125440K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

control-plane (top hat sat below letter 't')

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker

Press RETURN to get started

When I hit return I am sent to the Router> prompt. If I try and enter privilege mode by typing enable I get prompted for a password. I do not know the password and the defualt password of 'cisco' does not work. I have also tried just returning on the password and the passwords 'password' and 'pass'.

Router details:

The System Bootsrap, Version 12.4(22r)YB5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

C860 platform with 262144 Kbytes of main memory.

CIsoc IOS Software, C860 Software (C860-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.0(1)M2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

This is no doubt Cisco Router 101 basics but I would really appreciate the patience and help to get me going.

Many thanks

Richard

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

have you tryed to type enter after the password prompt?

Otherwise you could try do do a password recovery

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_password_recovery09186a00800942bc.shtml

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

riroe
Level 3
Level 3

Thank you for your question.  This community is for Cisco Small Business products and your question is in reference to a Cisco Elite/Classic product.  Please post your question in the Cisco NetPro forums located here:  

- Routers ----> Network Infrastructure Forum http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf;jsessionid=E0EEC3D9CB4E5165ED16933737822748.SJ3A?page=Network_Infrastructure_discussion

This forum has subject matter experts on Cisco Elite/Classic products that may be able to answer your question.

Gebraffe75
Level 1
Level 1

Okay, after some trial and error I have found some emulation problems. Now switched to Tera Term and I can run basic commands. Still getting the invalid input error and still unable to identify the default password, assuming there is one.

have you tryed to type enter after the password prompt?

Otherwise you could try do do a password recovery

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_password_recovery09186a00800942bc.shtml

Hi Geert,

Yes I have tried pressing enter, in other words no password but it still fails. I have also tried resetting the router after boot but again still unable to bring up config or identify enable password.

Thanks for the input.

Regards

Richard

Hi Geert,

Just tried the password recovery. All went well until it reached the point after typing reset at the rommon 2 prompt. Upon rebooting it dropped out with the invalid input error. When it prompted me to press RETURN, I did which took me to the router prompt. When I typed enable it asked for password as before and I could not advance.

Regards

Richard

Hi,

the password recovery didn't work because it should have prompted for initial setup before  prompt > appears and the caret sign ( ^) means the router doesn't understand a command.

Can you do a show ver | inc register at the prompt > and post output

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi Alain,

The show ver | inc regsiter displays:

Configuration register is 0x2102

Regards

Richard

Gebraffe75
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the full text done after pressing the reset button within a few seconds of rebooting:

System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(22r)YB5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 2009 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C860 platform with 262144 Kbytes of main memory

Readonly ROMMON initialized
program load complete, entry point: 0x80020000, size: 0x1579420
Self decompressing the image : #################################################
################################################################################
######################################################################### [OK]

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is
subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph
(c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted
Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph
(c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer
Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.
           170 West Tasman Drive
           San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco IOS Software, C860 Software (C860-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.0(1)M2, RELEA
SE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2010 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 11-Mar-10 04:08 by prod_rel_team
Image text-base: 0x800200E4, data-base: 0x82277D28

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
export@cisco.com.

Cisco 867 (MPC8300) processor (revision 1.0) with 236544K/25600K bytes of memory
.Installed image archive

Processor board ID FCZ142892SB

4 FastEthernet interfaces
1 ATM interface
1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module
256K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
125440K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

control-plane
   ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Press RETURN to get started!

Gebraffe75
Level 1
Level 1

Just had yet another go at reseting the password. When the unit rebooted I hammered ctrl+c a lot through the loading screens, this must have caused the unit to skip whichever command it was causing the problem, this got me to the config option prompt and then took me through the normal status updates and to a prompt where I can now enable into EXEC without a password.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card