Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 891 8Ports Layer 3?

Peter_sgc_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a Cisco C891F-K9 [c800-universalk9-mz.SPA.153-3.M3.bin] <advipservices> Router with 8 Gigabit Ethernet ports, we were told by cisco that these interfaces could assigned IP addresses on Layer 3.

However when I try to configure them i get "% IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links." I have tried to apply "No Switchport" on the interface but ;

Router(config-if)#no switchport
% Incomplete command.

It doesn't accept it.

The Idea was to create a lot of sub interfaces to send out for multiple Vlans.

I would obviously use the WAN ports FE0 / GE8 but i need these as WAN interfaces to connect to an ISP.

Does anyone know how to force it to be a Layer 3 interfaces (If possible) or am I going to have to create lots of Vlan interfaces (The correct config for this I am not so sure on)

Any help would be great....

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 8- and 24-ports of an 890 router is a Layer 2 only ports.  

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Most 800 series built-in Ethernet interfaces, are as Leo notes, only L2.

Yes, as you asked, you'll need to create VLANs (SVIs) for them, if you want them to have L3.

How to do that is pretty simple.  Define a VLAN for each Ethernet port you want to have a L3 IP.  Assign just one Ethernet port to the VLAN.  Then define a VLAN interface for the same VLAN and assign it an IP.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card