Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9400 - What is the diff. between "dual supervisor mode" and NSF/SSO? 🥺

Ether1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I'm new to the 9400 platform and I have a few questions about single vs dual supervisor setup. 

I'm looking at 40G uplink options for SUP1 and the data sheet says that only 1X40G is active per sup if in dual supervisor mode.

How do you put the switch into "dual supervisor mode"? Is this something that happens automatically as soon as both sups are inserted or is it something that needs to be turned on in the config?

My other question is about NSF/SSO. According to the configuration guide this needs to be configured:

Device(config)# redundancy 
Device(config-red)# mode sso
Device(config-red)# end

Is this how you enable the active/standby sup configuration? Every time I'm searching for "9400 high availability it takes me to NSF/SSO.

I guess, I can't help but wonder what happens if I don't configure SSO but have two supervisors in chassis? I.e. what's the alternative option to mode SSO? 

Lastly and perhaps more importantly, am I confusing dual supervisor mode with NSF/SSO? 🥺

I guess, I can't thing what would be the point of having dual sups (active/standby) if you don't have SSO and that's what's confusing me and makes me thing they're the same thing.

I know I posted a lot of questions but I would really appreciate your help to get me a little less confused!

Thank you

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card