cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9500 Stackwise Virtual (Spanning Tree)

RS19
Level 4
Level 4

Hi 

This is regarding Cisco 9500 stackwise virtual switch. My understanding is that it is similar to VSS.

Want to understand regarding the support of Spanning tree. Does Cisco 9500 stackwise virtual switch supports STP ?

Can STP be configured ? By default stackwise virutal switch prevents STP. So wanted to understand if STP is supported ?

Any reference materials or details will be useful.

10 Replies 10

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- STP is supported on StackWise Virtual too , 

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Any refernce link or document explaining this ?

Any design document or recommendation document ?

- Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9500/software/release/17-9/configuration_guide/ha/b_179_ha_9500_cg/configuring_cisco_stackwise_virtual.html
      >...The Cisco StackWise Virtual active switch runs the STP. The Cisco StackWise Virtual standby switch redirects the STP BPDUs across an SVL to the StackWise Virtual active switch.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks.

I am looking for some refernce or document which explains in details how spanning team is working in StackWise Virtual.
I want details explaining how Stack wise virtual switch is root switch ? How the other switches should not become the root switch & other details like this. I am trying to find out some STP recommendation documentation for stack wise virtual

We are planning to replaced the existing Cisco 6509 swithces in VSS to Cisco 9500 in virutal stack.

During migration need to ensure that the Cisco 9500 is the root switch & the access swithces conneted to the Cisco 9500 do not become the root bridge. So need to understand how STP can be configured in Cisco 9500 so that in virtual stack it remains the root bridge.

I want to ensure that the newly deployed Cisco 9500 in virtual stack always become the root. Whenever any other switches are getting connected to these switches should not become root. Let me know how to achieve this ?

What are the recommendations for this ?

You can always manually set the spanning tree priority to ensure that the 9500 is the root.

The STP configuration on the 9500 should be the same as any other switch. The only difference is that with StackWise Virtual you are now logically configuring and managing only one switch and not 2. So, if your old core switches are the root for all the VLANs, configure StackWise virtual the same.

HTH

So the configurations can be similar to that of the VSS concept with Catalyst 6509

VSS and SVL are same, just marketing terminology changed to sell as new concept.

check some good reference :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9000/nb-06-cat-9k-stack-wp-cte-en.html

https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/emea/docs/2023/pdf/BRKENS-2095.pdf

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card