cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9500 switch Virtual Stackwise and SSMS

dugolotti
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, we have a customer with a core switch composed by two 9500 in Virtual Stackwise configuration that have been registered to a Satellite Cisco VM correctly more or less one year ago. We had to replace the old SSMS Satellite due to a bug not resolvable and now we have the 9500 Registered to the old SSMS but not listed since no communication between switches and new Satellite has happened.

In order to register the core 9500 stack to the new SSMS we have to deregister the devices and register to the new SSMS.

We would like to know if this may impact the functionality of the core, for example, it is possible that the virtual stackwise will be disrupted? Since the Virtual StackWise functionality requires the DNA Advantage license. The evaluation period is expired now.

Someone tried this procedure on production L3 stack and could give us a feedback?

Thank you

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I have raised a TAC case and we perform deregistration and registration to the new OnPrem Cisco Satellite VM and things went ok.

Now the 9500 in virtual stackwise have registered correctly to the new CSSM. No impact on network functionality has been reported, the devices went in Evaluation mode for a while until the license smart register idtoken * command was issued.

Thanks

Regards

Denni

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

pieterh
VIP
VIP

>>> we have the 9500 Registered to the old SSMS but not listed since no communication between switches and new Satellite has happened <<<

no communication -> so you do NOT have the 9500 registered?
I assume you checked basic connectivity is established (ping, ssh, https?)

you may need to generate a new token first as the old token was valid for max 1 year
-> use the new token for registration.

Hello Pieterh,

the 9500 stack was previously registered to the old Satellite; the one that suffered from a bug.

We replaced the Satellite with a new VM with the same IP address of the old one.

The IP connectivity is not a problem but when we try to register the 9500 stack with a new token, a log telling that "device already registered" is prompted.

Anyway someone suggested us to use the command:

license smart register idtoken * force

So I will keep you updated after performing this operation

Thank you

I have raised a TAC case and we perform deregistration and registration to the new OnPrem Cisco Satellite VM and things went ok.

Now the 9500 in virtual stackwise have registered correctly to the new CSSM. No impact on network functionality has been reported, the devices went in Evaluation mode for a while until the license smart register idtoken * command was issued.

Thanks

Regards

Denni

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card