cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco C9200 ARP-Table, where?

gwahlers
Level 1
Level 1

I have the desire to restart a PoE-Device, connected to a C9200 switch, remotely. I have the ipv4-adress and the mac-adress of the affected device. Where can i see on which physical port this device is connected, so i can switch the  admin status off and on again to hard reset the device?
Every other managed switch i have seen has a ARP-Table filled with ipv4, mac and port number. But i have not seen any ARP-Table on Cisco C9200 switches...

Thanks in advance
Gerrit Wahlers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gwahlers
Level 1
Level 1

Okay, thank you for your answers.
I think i have found the solution:
Menue > Administration > Command Line Interface

1st coammand:   show ip arp XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
2nd command:   show mac adress-table address XXXX.XXXX.XXXX

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi

ARP table requires L3 interface configure. If this switch is only Layer 2, you are not seeing the ARP for users connected to it. 

But you dont need. If all you need yes figure out the port in which user is connected and you know the mac address, just run the command show mac-add table add x.x.x.x.  If you dont know the mac address but you know the IP, go to the next Layer3 device and run show ip arp | i x.x.x.x (ip address) and get the mac address. 

if SW run as L2 then you dont see IP-MAC in ARP table 
you will see only MAC-VLAN-Port in mac table 

can I know you want to trace this host ??

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@gwahlers wrote:
I have the desire to restart a PoE-Device, connected to a C9200 switch, remotely.

If the PD is not functional, hence the desire to restart said PD, then there is a strong chance said PD will not be sending out ARP. 

I see this all the time.  The PD would power up and crash.  No ARP entries.  

One way to find out is to look at the logs.  If the PD is crashing, then the logs would be spammed of PoE-related logs.

gwahlers
Level 1
Level 1

Okay, thank you for your answers.
I think i have found the solution:
Menue > Administration > Command Line Interface

1st coammand:   show ip arp XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
2nd command:   show mac adress-table address XXXX.XXXX.XXXX

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card