Views
Helpful
Replies

CIsco C9500 24y4c-e stack function

nyinyi84083
Level 1
Level 1

hi every one,

I would like to use 2x c9500 24y4c-e to stack function. But i heard about that -E Network Essential does not support stack wise function. Can I use another stack function like tradition not stack wise or do i need to be upgrade license to -A network advantage?

Thank you all.

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

virparma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Hi nyinyi84083,

First of all, please be advised that C9500 is the replacement of the Cat4k or C4500X(pizza box design) where both of these platforms do not support the traditional stacking functionality/feature.

Hence, the only way to implement stacking is to use the stackwise-virtual feature.

View solution in original post

You can use the evaluation mode for now in case if you are deploying the switches for the first time while you are in the process of purchasing the license. Moreover, be aware of smartlicense (implemented from 16.9.x) so, you can start working on it before the license is added into your smart account.

Yes. For now, you can use the switches in EVAL mode and then deploy the permanent license once you purchase it. However, make sure you do not use 16.9.x IOS version (for this models stackwise-virtual is not supported). You need to use 16.10.x or later IOS.

Also, make sure you have virtual account and smartaccount before you purchase the license as it would be directly deposited into that.

No. You would be keep on using it. Until the switch is rebooted. One the switch is rebooted the DNA licenses would be invalid.

10 Replies 10

virparma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Hi nyinyi84083,

First of all, please be advised that C9500 is the replacement of the Cat4k or C4500X(pizza box design) where both of these platforms do not support the traditional stacking functionality/feature.

Hence, the only way to implement stacking is to use the stackwise-virtual feature.

Hi virparma

Is there another way to upgrade license  Network Essential to Advantage?

Thank you

You can use the evaluation mode for now in case if you are deploying the switches for the first time while you are in the process of purchasing the license. Moreover, be aware of smartlicense (implemented from 16.9.x) so, you can start working on it before the license is added into your smart account.

Hi Virparma 

U mean if I wanna upgrade Network Essential to Advantage i should upgrade in EVAL License MODE and then the switch will be Network Advantage and can use stackwise function. it is correct?

Thank you 

Yes. For now, you can use the switches in EVAL mode and then deploy the permanent license once you purchase it. However, make sure you do not use 16.9.x IOS version (for this models stackwise-virtual is not supported). You need to use 16.10.x or later IOS.

Also, make sure you have virtual account and smartaccount before you purchase the license as it would be directly deposited into that.

Thank you for helping me a lot.

Hi Virparma

Now I've change license boot level to Network Advantage in RTU EVAL Mode, then i  can make config Stack-wise command now. If I forget (or) late to apply license (DNA -E or -A for 3 years) What will happen after RTU EVAL MODE Timer Expired? Everything will be gone?

Thank you.

No. You would be keep on using it. Until the switch is rebooted. One the switch is rebooted the DNA licenses would be invalid.

I am replacing two 4500X with ipbase that are using VSS.  Are you stating that if I replace these with a pair C9500-24Y4C that I will need -A advantage just to get the same features as ipbase which included VSS?

iamshakeel
Level 1
Level 1

Complete Stack Configuration of C9500

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/hzrnuqww4tl3q/C9500

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco