cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Call Home Disable for Internet blocked devices

sejamc71
Level 1
Level 1

I have a PLC/Machine network that is internal only and Internet connectivity is blocked completely. This presents an issue or a question at least. On new versions of Cisco IOS, the Call Home feature is enabled by default and cannot be disabled. On my devices, we absolutely do not allow any internet connectivity what so ever.

So...if I put out a 3650 switch in our dirty, greasy plant, is the switch going disable itself or anything if it can't call home? That presents a massive risk to our production

Thoughts?

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check if this document can help you : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst_slr/b-169-9000-series-SLR-cg/b-169-9000-series-SLR-cg_chapter_00.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
conf t
 no service call-home
 no call-home
end

Unfortunately, no service call-home does not disable the call home feature on newer ios

- How did you assert or test that ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I took a brand new switch, did a no service call-home, saved the changes, rebooted the switch and by default the switch re-enables the call-home at boot on newer software versions.

- So I expect saving was done , with write memory ?
     Could you test again , and when the configuration has been saved issue the command show startup-configuration  , 
     before reboot         has it still disappeared ?

M.

Post the complete output to the command "sh log".  
I want to see the call-home messages.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card