Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Cat 4500 - Replace Line-Card with a different model

m.pederneschi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

on a Cisco Cat 4500 I need to replace a line-card with 6 port 1Gbps with a new line-card WS-X4606-X2-E.

Is this possible? Which are the step I need to follow to complete this activity? It is the first time this happens to me.

Thanks for your answers,

Maurizio

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

You will lose the port configuration of module 6 only as your removing the blade no 6 any of the port associated with that will disappear form cli config but when you insert the new blade  you will see all those ports but they will need to configured as there new

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Once the card is supported on your specific 4500 it can be replaced while powered up , and replaced live , just unscrew current blade remove it and then insert the new blade , do it slowly though make sure the pins are lined up don't force it in , they click into place easy enough  

This doc explains OIR

The Modular Cisco Catalyst switches, such as the 6500, 6000, 5500, 5000, 4500, and 4000 Series, support Online Insertion and Removal (OIR) or Hot Swap of all modules (power supplies, fan trays, Supervisor Modules and other Line and Service Modules). You can add, replace, or remove modules without interrupting the system power or causing other software or interfaces to shut down.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/97065-oir-mod-catsw.html

Hi Mark,

thank you very much for your answer. Regarding the configuration, what will change?

Now I have this module on slot 6:

1000BaseX (GBIC)                       WS-X4306-GB

And I want to replace it with this, in order to have 10Gb port:

WS-X4606-X2-E Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series 6-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet (X2)

Maurizio

Hi

You will lose the port configuration of module 6 only as your removing the blade no 6 any of the port associated with that will disappear form cli config but when you insert the new blade  you will see all those ports but they will need to configured as there new

Many thanks for your precious support.

Maurizio

Sorry I understand this is an old discussion,

May I know, if the replace card is same model, will that also cause to lose the port configuration of module 6 ?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card