Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 3750 stack member configuration port

gianni.laterza
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

i have 2 catalyst 3750 in stack and all works fine. On MASTER switch i've setup some ports to some vlans (es. interface 1/0/1 on vlan2 and interface 1/0/2 on vlan3).

On the MEMBER switch i see corresponding ports on default vlan (vlan1).

My question is: i must configure also ports on MEMBER switch to the same vlans that i've setup on MASTER switch ports?

If MASTER switch fails and i connect patch on MEMBER switch, all works as before without reconfigure ports on the same vlan than MASTER switch?

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

you need to configure all ports as want. for ex. if you wanna connect master switch's port 1's cable, to 2nd switch's port 1 in case of failure, you should configure 2/0/1 also to same as 1/0/1. 

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

View solution in original post

gianni.laterza
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you @Kasun Bandara 

Imagine the same for channel group, right? Thanks in advance

yes. same for channel groups as well

Good luck
KB

gianni.laterza
Level 1
Level 1
5 Replies 5

you need to configure all ports as want. for ex. if you wanna connect master switch's port 1's cable, to 2nd switch's port 1 in case of failure, you should configure 2/0/1 also to same as 1/0/1. 

Good luck
KB

gianni.laterza
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you @Kasun Bandara 

Imagine the same for channel group, right? Thanks in advance

yes. same for channel groups as well

Good luck
KB

gianni.laterza
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks a lot

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"My question is: i must configure also ports on MEMBER switch to the same vlans that i've setup on MASTER switch ports?"

No, not unless you want those ports to be in those VLANs.

Remember a 3750 stack is one logical device.  Master/members don't matter.  All the master is, is the stack member that does the "high level thinking" for the whole stack.  Any stack member can also function as the master switch (although there are considerations on that).

"If MASTER switch fails and i connect patch on MEMBER switch, all works as before without reconfigure ports on the same vlan than MASTER switch?"

No, if I understand your question, correctly.

However a port is configured, on any stack switch master, it's always the same configuration, for that port, regardless of number of switches in stack or which stack member is master.

For fail over purposes on stacks (or chassis line cards), I might configure the same number port, on multiple (or even all) stack members (or line cards).  I.e. first (some number) of ports are always same VLAN (i.e. same #), next (some) number of ports, again, same VLAN, etc.  This way if one stack member fails (or line card), I can simple repatch from failed stack member (or line card) VLANs banks of ports to corresponding bank of ports on any other stack member (or line card).

I.e. rather than have:

switch 1's ports 1..12, VLAN 1, ports 13..24, VLAN 5

switch 2's ports 1..8 VLAN 10 and ports 9..24 VLAN 88

NB: If either switch fails, VLAN to ports assignment don't change, nor do other port configuration options.

I might have:

switch 1's ports 1..6, VLAN 1, ports 7..12, VLAN 5, ports 13..16 VLAN 10 and ports 17..24 VLAN 88

switch 2's ports 1..6, VLAN 1, ports 7..12, VLAN 5, ports 13..16 VLAN 10 and ports 17..24 VLAN 88

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card