cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 4948E-F Ethernet Switch Multicast Routing

sateesh_b
Level 1
Level 1

we are using this switch for Multicast purpose. We have 12 Encoders with 300 Multicast of Video Streams and we have to access all the streams in one port for up-link. If we connect all the encoders, we are getting frame drops. Multicast stream IP's are 224.10.XXX.XX and 225.10.XXX.XX.

How to access all the Multicast Streams in Up-link port without frame drops and in this Streams we have to access in other ports also using WAN

4 Replies 4

Hello,

first of all, I would check if the frame drops are not caused by the fact that the interface in question does not exceed its capacity. 300 (simultaneous ?) video streams sounds like a lot.

Either way, you could use QoS on the uplink port. In the example below, streaming video would get a 100MB priority with 50MB burst:

access-list 101 permit ip host 224.10.xxx.xx any dscp cs4
access-list 101 permit ip host 225.10.xxx.xx any dscp af41

class-map Streaming_Video_Class
 match access-group 101

policy-map Streaming_Video_Policy
 class Streaming_Video_Class
  priority 100000 50000

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
 service-policy output Streaming_Video_Policy

hi

Thanks for your reply.

In Each Port i have 8 Multicast Streams from Gi 1/2 to 1/14. Each Multicast Stream is 3.5 Mb/s. 

From Gi 1/25 to 1/32 we have 30 + Multicast Video Streams in Each Port with Video Bit rate from 1Mb/s to 8 Mbp/s. 

We are using this switch for Digital Video TV purpose. Before We have Netgear L2 switch its working perfect wit basic configuration. No routing nothing done in this Switch, but its 24 Port. We required more ports and required some multicast groups. That's why we changed to this Switch. This is my scenario.

Yous said configuration will work this scenario...????

Thanks alot

Hello,

if the Netgear L2 switch worked without frame drops, the Cisco should work fine. Try implementing the configuration I suggested. 

The command:

show policy-map interface XX command 

where XX is the interface you applied the policy will show which packets are matched.

Tausif Gaddi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sateesh,

You can refer this link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4948e-ethernet-switch/data_sheet_c78-598933.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card