cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 9300 L3 Mesh network

pauloneves
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to build a mesh network supported at cisco catalyst 9300, running L3 and implementing GLBP gateways?

Thks

8 Replies 8

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Could you expand what you envision your topology would be?

I ask because mesh topologies generally use different subjects per mesh link (to avoid L2 loops) while a FHRP has multiple (physical) gateways per subnet.

Is like a closed very resilient distributed network with 10 catalyst 9300, connected between them, with some distributed gateways with GLBP, to grant access to server farms, or stacks of access switchs. Avoid L2 loops without spanning tree is the purpose.

Thank you

Hello @pauloneves,

Cisco C9300 series switches are primarily Layer 2 and Layer 3 switches, and they support various routing and gateway protocols, including GLBP. While you can use them as Layer 3 switches with routing capabilities and configure GLBP for gateway redundancy, they are not typically used as mesh network nodes in a wireless mesh network.

Mesh networks typically consist of APs or routers that connect wirelessly and form a self-configuring, self-healing network. They are commonly used for extending wireless coverage in areas where it might be challenging to run Ethernet cables.

Cisco does offer specific wireless products and solutions for building wireless mesh networks, including the Cisco Aironet series access points with mesh capabilities. These access points are designed to create wireless mesh networks and provide wireless connectivity in scenarios where traditional wired connections are not feasible.

The Cisco Catalyst 9300 series switches are better suited for traditional wired networking tasks and as routing devices in network infrastructures.

If you are looking to set up a wired network with Layer 3 routing and GLBP gateways using Cisco Catalyst 9300 switches, they are a suitable choice. But for a wireless mesh network, you would need dedicated wireless mesh equipment.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

10 catalyst serve same VLAN ?

Note:- Glbp can support up to 4 max router in one group

Sorry, what you've described, at least to me, isn't making much sense.

Could you post a drawing of what you're trying to accomplish?

CiscoProj_v0.1.png

Thank you!

Believe it or not, from your text descriptions, I visualized something similar to what you just posted, but thought, that cannot be what he has in mind, or is it?

Are you looking to do this for real?

If so, what constraints are you facing that would lead you to such a topology?

If this is just a mental exercise, like would this work, at all?  Possibly, I would need to think about it.

Thank you Joseph,

thinking about a distributed (but isolated) network between different buildings, high resilient and with multiple paths. If one or two buildinds go off the others can be still working with its network services. Not using spanning tree is mandatory.

It could work?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card