Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst Switch PSU FAN status is showing off and ON simulteneously

Swapnil.Mashere
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have WS-C4506-E switch and currently getting continuous logs of PSU fan failure and fan OK simultaneously (in around ever 10 seconds). Physically fan is working. Please suggest any possible solution on this.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Swapnil 

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Could be a bad contact. Try re-seating the fan, if possible (or the fan-tray).

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Swapnil,

ask for a a maintenance window power off the switch and remove and reseat the FAN module(s).

This might solve your issue.

If the FAN are working correctly the switch can work without any issues (with many useless log messages I understand this point)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

cmarva
Level 4
Level 4

as I read this, it's not the chassis fan tray, it is one of the power supply fans. What I have typically seen for this condition is to RMA the power supply. The other thing that I have seen, although only once or twice, is a flaky line feed and you have to call an electrician. But most often this message has been caused by a power supply going bad. Assuming you have two supplies, the replacement would be transparent as long as you are configured for redundant mode and not combined mode.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card