Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IE3000 Switch - Power Draw Nominal vs Maximum

yousuf.taufiq
Level 1
Level 1

Hello -

I am trying find out what the nominal power draw is for the following switch. The installation manual and data sheets says that the power draw for the units are 15.1W and 15.7W maximum at 18VDC. I am trying to use the switch for a solar application (12VDC) and would like to find out what the nominal draw would be when the device is in standby or if all of the ethernet ports are unused. I plan to use the two fiber SFP's and one copper port. Any information that can be provided will be most helpful.

Thanks,

IE-3000-4TC

IE-3000-8TC

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The device never goes in standby, and usage of ethernet ports is insignificant. You should design for the maxium power draw plus a safety factor.

My understanding is that most electronic devices don't use their maximum power 24/7 correct? I was wondering if there was an average usage for the device. It is really hard to design solar to a maximum number, because then we have to oversize the panels, batteries for a load that is not going to be used 100% of the time. Unless this switch always uses 15W+...

If the figures noted above are still recommended, is there another field ethernet switch that is recommended that consumes less than 15W @ 18VDC.

Thanks,

Network devices are normally pretty constant in power usage, unless they provide PoE, and the 3000 does not.

You can measure amperage yourself to confirm.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card