cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IOS 12.4(20)T IP Base for 2821 router with HWIC cards

Joseph Troxel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.  I have this 2821 Cisco router in my classroom and I have it up and running (thanks to you all).  I added two HWIC FE cards to create different subnets for my Computer Science networking classroom lab, but the cards are not recognized by the router.  I searched this up and I know that I need the IOS 12.4(20)T IP Base as a minimum.   I am not able to locate that in order to download it.  Is there someplace I can go to get that or is there another one that is more recent that will work on the 2821 router and the two additional HWIC FE cards? What are your thoughts?

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do not use a "T" because it is not stable. 

The only place to find IOS files for end-of-life models is the internet.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The two HWIC FE cards are each single FE port?

Some Cisco documentation says minimum IOS is (as you note) 12.4(20)T IP Base, but other Cisco documentation has 12.4(24)T, or later, see table 1's footnote.

Hello.  Yes they are both single FE HWIC cards.  

Great, wanted to insure you were aware of number of additional FE ports limitation.

Yes, the documentation you posted is where I got the info from.  I would be happy with either one at this point.  I just have to find a site to download them from. 

"I would be happy with either one at this point."

You might not be happy with (20)!  As Cisco documentation contradicts itself, either you need further verification that (20) would support the HWIC or you'll want no less that (24).  (Ideally, Cisco would be the best source to verify what's the minimum required release, but as router is EoL, they might not provide such verification.  Or, also great would be someone who has actually used that HWIC while using [20].  BTW, I recall [?] I've used that HWIC in 2811s, with 12.xT, but it's been so long ago, I cannot remember what release was used.)

Also, BTW, a key factor in finding an IOS version in supporting those HWICs is the "or later" release and/or IOS version.  Also, as you might be aware, don't believe you need an IOS specific to the 2821, I recall same IOS images support the 2811 and 2851 too, unsure about the 2801.  Basically, look at your running IOS filename, if starts with something like 2800 (near the beginning), that other IOS images with similar names might do.  (I mention this, to hopefully, making finding a newer IOS file, a tiny bit easier.)

BTW, when seeking your IOS, you might also try contacting some of the, on-line, software and/or network equipment sellers.  Those that sell Cisco routers and/or Cisco IOSs, might have an old 28xx IOS sitting on their shelf.

From your other posting, I understand you do have some IOS version running on this 2821.  If true, for teaching purposes, if you cannot find an IOS image to support your HWICs, some alternates you might consider . . .

If you have a VLAN capable switch, you can create multiple routable subinterfaces on your built-in Ethernet interfaces.

Or, if you can find any of the L2 Ethernet cards/modules, that your current IOS supports, you can create one VLAN per L2 card port and have routable SVIs.  I also recall (?) there was also a L3 Ethernet module that could be added to these routers (basically a 3560 on the module card).

From the prior paragraph, if you're wondering why did Cisco even provide the FE port cards, those cards supported the same software features as the built-in Ethernet ports, that the L2/L3 modules cards did not.  (Conversely, though, in real-world usage, the 2821 didn't have the forwarding capacity to support wire-rate on its built-in Ethernet ports, let alone adding more such Ethernet ports.  The L2/L3 modules could do wire-rate between those ports, but also would have performance issues to/from the rest of the router.  In a teaching environment, I assume the router's performance is a non-issue.)

Lastly, although I very much believe doing some hands-on training on actual equipment is great, you might also consider using something like PT for teaching many of the basics, and then using actual hardware to reinforce some lessons on "real" hardware.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card