Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Meraki vs Catalyst 9k

Nancy3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

I wanted your opinion on Cisco Meraki vs the new Catalyst 9K series.  I am currently looking at options to replace my existing infrastructure.  I’m new to this role and the switches currently are a mixture of netgear, HP and Cisco. I want to standardise and have a robust, scalable, stable, fast network.  We approx 300 users with three cabinets spread across the site and I want an enterprise solution that give us options for the future, features that we may not use currently but have the option at a later date.  I want performance as welll.

cheers all!

9 Replies 9

Hi,

this is bit difficult question :D

selecting switch model or brand to network is too easy. but selecting correct features are the most important. as my knowledge below points you should care when selecting a switches.

1 - number of network devices connecting. depending on number of users, you need to select matching throughput

2 - how you idea to deploy core switches and distribution switches - depends on your buildings, department locations, floors, etc. and are you have future expantions so you can select chassy model switch or fixed switch

3 - how you gonna connect core , distribution and access switches (uplinks)? you can choose fiber or copper. if you are linking building to building at outdoor cabling or high distances better have fiber. and need to think uplink speed (10G, 25G or 40+++)

4 - are you looking for security features through switches such as port security and Access lists

5 - are you planing to use VLANs, if so how many and how many users per each

6 - if you need to do inter VLAN routing are you gonna do it on Core switch or any other device such as router or firewall

7 - are you want redundant connectivity between core switches, distribution and access switches? if so you can have stacked switches

8 - how about power availability in cabinets and how much watt you can supply through UPSs?

9 - other features you are expecting such as, QoS, authentication, DHCP, DHCP snooping,  etc.

10 - PoE considerations, (with power requirement per switch)

10 - are you want to manage switches from central location? (meraki use cloud based management and cisco can use local or centralized management through DNA)

11 - these are main points you need to think before decide brand. and other special things you need too

i guess you need to have a full analysis of current network and decide best requirement you need. after that we can select most matching model and brand.

good luck

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Many thanks, I agree with your points and they will be considered.  I suppose I’m also wondering is there a more superior switch for an enterprise setup? My past colleagues always recommended catalyst but the items noted previously can be common to both e.g uplink speeds, core switches, fibre vs copper.  But what I’m looking for is overall performance, are the catalyst switches better preforming (e.g cat 9300 vs Meraki ms250) are they better built for enterprise networks?

yes both are enterprise grade and check below datasheets.

meraki - https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_ms250.pdf

cisco - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/data_sheet-c78-738977.html

cisco 9300 series have more throughput than meraki 250 series. cisco using stakwise which meraki use virtual staking. cisco have power stacking where meraki does not 

Good luck
KB

Can you please suggest Catalyst 9200L-48-P stack vs Meraki MS250 for corporate office ( 500 users)

We are planning to deploy stack for our new office and also want to replace existing switching stacks .

Please suggest which one is better for both sites with approx. 400-500 users.

Catalyst 9200L-48-P stack vs Meraki MS250

1 - number of network devices connecting. depending on number of users (400-500)

2 - how you idea to deploy core switches and distribution switches -  We want 9300L or 9200L as core switch for Layer3 routing and switching

3 - how you gonna connect core , distribution and access switches (uplinks)? you can choose fiber or copper.

Access layer uplinks will be copper or fiber

4 - are you looking for security features through switches such as port security and Access lists.

We will have Firewall as WAN and Security.

5 - are you planing to use VLANs, if so how many and how many users per each.

10-20 VLANs and major 6 vlans with 100-150 users each

6 - if you need to do inter VLAN routing are you gonna do it on Core switch or any other device such as router or firewall.

It will be on Core-Distribution Stack switch 

7 - are you want redundant connectivity between core switches, distribution and access switches? if so you can have stacked switches

Stacked switches will do.

8 - how about power availability in cabinets and how much watt you can supply through UPSs?

As per requirement

9 - other features you are expecting such as, QoS, authentication, DHCP, DHCP snooping,  etc.

Yes - DHCP, QoS 

10 - PoE considerations, (with power requirement per switch)

Yes.

10 - are you want to manage switches from central location? (meraki use cloud based management and cisco can use local or centralized management through DNA)

Either way is fine

Regards,

PK0018

Hi, if your all users (400-500) are planed to hit this switch, you better check with cisco 9300 or Meraki 350 which have better IPv4 routes capability including ARP. regards, GK
Good luck
KB

So given that the MS390 is a Cat 9300 under the hood running Meraki code, how is this different to a Cat 9300 running in Meraki mode? Is a MS390 technically different to a Cat 9300 converted to Meraki management in any way? Or are they the same thing?

@richard.hindley 

MS390 and CAT9300 are two different hardwares and OSs. its not same. with new updates, you can add cat9000 switchs to meraki dashboard for monitoring purpose only.

https://documentation.meraki.com/Cloud_Monitoring_for_Catalyst/Onboarding/Cloud_Monitoring_for_Catalyst_Overview_and_FAQ

Good luck
KB

Thanks for response.

As per this video (Cisco Cloud Management for Catalyst), Catalyst 9300 now also supports a management mode within the Meraki dashboard as well as a monitoring only mode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJCOOo9Zwco

According to the video, this replaces IOS on the switch with a Meraki management service, and converts the 9300 to "Meraki Mode".

Since it is well-documented (and mentioned in the video) that the MS390 and Catalyst 9300 are essentially the same Cisco hardware with different badging, my question is whether the process of onboarding a Catalyst 9300 to management mode in the Meraki dashboard effectively converts it to an MS390 - i.e. does the 9300 end up running the same Meraki management software as an MS390?

Richard

This session looks at the upcoming functionality for Meraki and Cisco Catalyst 9k Series Switches. Our experts cover both Cloud Monitoring and Cloud Management for Catalyst.

@richard.hindley  thanks for details. i have done some overlook of new release.

https://blogs.cisco.com/networking/your-network-your-way-a-journey-to-full-cloud-management-of-cisco-catalyst-products

this gives good insight. so with IOS-XE 17.8.1 you can configure switch as a meraki mode and manage through meraki cloud. but cat9300 will be mapped to MS390 feature set once added to meraki mode. and 9300 will still run new IOS-XE code. not same code runs in MS390. because C9300 can change between meraki mode and DNA mode. but MS390 only run in meraki mode.

Also below link will give some differentiation

https://www.reddit.com/r/meraki/comments/dym5n5/ms390_essentially_a_rebadged_cat_9300_chassis/

most of threads says MS390 is still needs many upgrades for some basic features availability. so better go through complete datasheets and understand what it have and what are lacking features. 

Good luck
KB
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card