Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco n9k vPC Keep-alive link

skibibean61
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

What is the correct way of connecting the keep-alive link in a vPC. I read the best practices document which suggest to use the mgmt0 interface. Now, do I have to use an out-of-band switch to connect all these switches for ssh access? OR can I just connect the mgmt0 to each other and use an interface vlan with an ip and use that vlan for ssh access?

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Read this document : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/nexus-9000-series-switches/218333-understand-and-configure-nexus-9000-vpc.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

as per the guide lines : ( you can use any port for that use - not required to be OOB management port)

Peer-Keepalive Link and Messages

The Cisco NX-OS software uses the peer-keepalive link between the vPC peers to transmit periodic, configurable keepalive messages. You must have Layer 3 connectivity between the peer devices to transmit these messages; the system cannot bring up the vPC Peer-Link unless the peer-keepalive link is already up and running.

balajibandi_0-1696962190487.gif

Note

We recommend that you associate the vPC peer-keepalive link to a separate VRF mapped to a Layer 3 interface in each vPC peer device. If you do not configure a separate VRF, the system uses the management VRF and management ports by default. Do not use the vPC Peer-Link itself to send and receive vPC peer-keepalive messages.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

STEPAN JANKOVIC
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

1)if you do not have use for mgmt ports, you can use these ports (and mgmt vrf) for keepalives. Then you can use different VLAN/VRF/ports for management access.

2)if you normally like to use mgmt ports for mgmt/oob access - do so. Then use different set of ports / VRF for keepalives.

Anyway - do not mix VRF/L3 interfaces used for keepalives with other functions. Keep keepalive connectivity safe and separated - this is the idea behind.

Stepan

Use mgmt interface as doc. Suggestion is best' 

Mgmt interface can not use for data traffic. 

If you have limits number of data port then using mgmt interface is best.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card