cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Network Switch

Philip-emaikwu
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question concerning the Cisco Network Switch , recently we are required to put some of our equipment in the storage for an extend period up to a year in storage. My question is that, how long will these Cisco Network Switch module remain in storage unpowered before they lose memories? Do you guys have a recommended time that the Network Switch's can sit unpowered before they lose memory or become unusable?

Best regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My question is that, how long will these Cisco Network Switch module remain in storage unpowered before they lose memories?

The configuration is in NVRAM and not memory. So, it will never get lost. Think of NVRAM as a hard drive. It will always be there unless you power up the switch and earase it. 

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not that i am aware or faced any issue, you loose the configuration due to no usage of device.

even you loose the configuration, take the configuration backup before you turn off the devices.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My question is that, how long will these Cisco Network Switch module remain in storage unpowered before they lose memories?

The configuration is in NVRAM and not memory. So, it will never get lost. Think of NVRAM as a hard drive. It will always be there unless you power up the switch and earase it. 

HTH

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Personally, I suspected years to decades.  Obtained the following AI answer to such a question, which appears to support my suspicion.

Very likely a year in storage would be a non-issue, but as @balaji.bandi suggests, having separate backup of NVRAM data would be advisable.

How long does nvram retain memory

NVRAM (Non-Volatile Random Access Memory) retains its memory for a significant amount of time, even when the power is turned off. The exact retention time varies depending on the type of NVRAM and the specific implementation.

Up to 10 years: According to some sources, NVRAM chips can retain their data for up to 10 years without significant degradation. This is because NVRAM is designed to store data in a non-volatile manner, meaning it doesn’t require power to maintain the stored information.

20-40 years: In some cases, NVRAM can retain its memory for up to 20-40 years, as mentioned in a Reddit thread discussing the need for non-volatile memory with extremely long service life.

Long-term storage: NVRAM is often used in applications where long-term storage is required, such as in devices with limited power sources, like laptops and smartphones. In these cases, NVRAM can retain its memory for extended periods without significant degradation.

Factors affecting retention time: The retention time of NVRAM can be affected by various factors, including:

• Quality of the NVRAM chip
  • Environmental conditions (temperature, humidity, etc.)
  • Power cycling (turning the device on and off repeatedly)
  • Data retention mechanisms (e.g., periodic rewriting or refreshing)

In summary, NVRAM can retain its memory for a significant amount of time, ranging from up to 10 years to 20-40 years, depending on the specific implementation and environmental conditions.

AI-generated answer. Please verify critical factsLearn more
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card