cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Nexus 3048 upgrade

Siva chinap
Level 5
Level 5

I intend to upgrade Nexus 3048 switches from 6.0(2)U6(4) to 9.3 (8). I'd like to know if straight upgrades are supported, or if I need to upgrade intermediate versions. How long will this upgrade take and required procedure, prerequistes?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Siva,

An ISSU will not be possible in this situation. A disruptive NX-OS upgrade is your only option for this upgrade path.

Thank you!

-Christopher

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

read the release notes and upgrade :

Upgrade From NX-OS 6.x to NX-OS 9.3(x)

This section of the document describes how to perform a standard disruptive NX-OS software upgrade from a source release in the NX-OS 6.x major release to a target release in the NX-OS 9.3(x) minor release.

Note: An NX-OS software upgrade to a target release in the NX-OS 9.3(x) minor release from a source release in the NX-OS 6.x major release requires two mandatory intermediate upgrades. The first intermediate upgrade is to NX-OS 6.0(2)U6(10). The second intermediate upgrade is to NX-OS 7.0(3)I7(9). After the second intermediate upgrade to 7.0(3)I7(9), you may upgrade to the desired target release in the NX-OS 9.3(x) minor release.

An example standard disruptive NX-OS software upgrade is performed on a Cisco Nexus N3K-C3172PQ-10GE switch from a source release of 6.0(2)U5(1) to a target release of 9.3(5) with mandatory intermediate upgrades to 6.0(2)U6(10) and 7.0(3)I7(9).

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/nexus-3000-series-switches/216037-nexus-3000-and-3100-nx-os-software-upgra.html#anc31

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji,

Just as an FYI, this is not the correct document for the Nexus 3048. The N3K-C3048 is not listed under the Applicable Hardware section of this document.

The appropriate document for the Nexus 3048 specifically is here.

Thank you!

-Christopher

Siva chinap
Level 5
Level 5

@balaji.bandi

Will it be able to do an upgraded ISSU update; is it advised; and, if so, which technique is recommended (disruptive or non-disruptive)?

Hi Siva,

An ISSU will not be possible in this situation. A disruptive NX-OS upgrade is your only option for this upgrade path.

Thank you!

-Christopher

@Christopher Hart cheers for the correct document.

I would suggest to manual upgrade one at a time, make sure you do this maintenance window. this service interruption upgrade,.

Note: Cisco always advises upgrading in time to minimize these kinds of issues. -

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

DMace
Level 1
Level 1

This is just my failure story...take heed.

The upgrade path for the Nexus 3048 is a circus.  I did all the research and felt I knew the correct path.  I was upgrading from n3000-uk9.6.0.2.U2.2 to n3000-uk9.6.0.2.U6.10.  I had the kickstart and the system images...both verified.

I started the upgrade using the install all command.  Everything verified SUCCESS, everything extracted SUCCESS.

My switch rebooted after reporting SUCCESS and now I have a brick.  I get no console output, the ports never come up....its just a brick.

Cisco should be embarrassed at this upgrade process and the inability to recover.  Unfortunately I purchased the switch used and there is no warranty (it was working perfectly before this).  This helps justify in my mind that I will not purchase enterprise Cisco equipment for my home lab in the future.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card