cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Nexus 5020 Unable to FTP/TFTP

joshua.baxter56
Level 1
Level 1

I am setting up a Nexus 5020 switch and I am able to TFTP to the kickstart file which launches properly. The issue I am having is that once the image is loaded I am unable to copy the kickstart and system files to the Bootflash over FTP or TFTP.

All other devices are able to FTP and TFTP to the FTP/TFTP server. I also made sure that any firewall is disabled on the server just to make sure that isn't getting in the way.

I made sure that I had enabled the Management0 port and that an IP is configured on it.

No device on the network is able to ping the IP address of the manangement port and the m0 port is within the same subnet.

Is there anything that I am missing? 

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the error you get while copying the files, can you post the error here :

On the post, you mentioned you able to boot using? After boot success you still able to ping your TFTP Server ?

can you show the syntax you used to copy the files?

another side you can also copy the file using USB stick (if you have physical Access)

here is the guide for the same for all :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/fundamentals/513_n2_1/b_Cisco_Nexus_5000_Series_NX-OS_Fundamentals_Configuration_Guide_Release_513_N21/b_Cisco_Nexus_5000_Series_NX-OS_Fundamentals_Configuration_Guide_Release_5_1...

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

The error I get when trying to copy the files is 'Network is unreachable'.

Once I have booted into the Kickstart Image there is no option to ping, so I cannot check if I can ping the Server.

The thing that is weird is that there isn't all the features that I expect and instead of saying switch# it says switch(boot)#.

There was a few syntaxes I used as follows.

copy tftp: bootflash:

copy ftp: bootflash:

copy tftp://"server_ip"/n5000-uk9-kickstart.5.2.1.N1.9a.bin bootflash:n5000-uk9-kickstart.5.2.1.N1.9a.bin

copy ftp://"server_ip"/n5000-uk9-kickstart.5.2.1.N1.9a.bin bootflash:n5000-uk9-kickstart.5.2.1.N1.9a.bin

(obviously I use the actual IP of the server)

Unfortunatly I thought of that but I was unable to find any USB ports on the device.

I have followed that guide before to no avail

'Network is unreachable'.    <-- this means you may not have config after kickstart booted.

Once you booted kickstart from TFTP

switch(boot)# show IP     <-- this will show the interface config.

If you do not see that information, you need to configure again your mgmt interface config, make sure you un shut(by default it is shutdown mode) - set the default gateway, IP routing enabled.

once the ip information configured

switch(boot)# dir - check you able to view the boot flash information before you copy

switch(boot)# copy tftp: bootflash:

once copied all the files

switch(boot)#reload

After reload.

loader> boot kickstart.bin image.bin

once booted successfully, configure the basic config and set the boot variable,  write and reload and test.

post any issue complete console logs to understand what is wrong.

BB

When I boot up the kickstart I checked show IP to make sure the IP was set correctly and so was the gateway, I then enabled the management port is it's disabled by default.

When checking dir it is blank only thing there is the list+found file

I will try enable IP routing and see if that does the trick. I'm just having a little issue now that the box isn't displaying the loader via console (9600 speed, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit and no parity), which is weird because it worked before the device was powered off

I will try enable IP routing and see if that does the trick. I'm just having a little issue now that the box isn't displaying the loader via console (9600 speed, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit and no parity), which is weird because it worked before the device was powered off

Sure try and let us know how it does,  Unlike other Switch, Nexus build in different ways..so do not power off and on so frequently have a chance of crashing...so turn off and wait for some time and initiate the boot process.. Hopefully, you have not touched different baud rate in the config?

BB

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, it's been a long week and only just been able to test the switch again.

I was able to console into the switch now and I made sure that in the loader the IP address and Gateway are correct. Booted the Kickstart Bin from TFTP, still works fine here.

Once In the OS I made sure that I unshut the m0 port and then enabled IP Routing and still getting the same 'Network is unreachable'

No device on the network can Ping the switch and because of the limited OS on the switch I cannot try Ping from it.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card